Per Square Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

In the past I have never typically went with a psf estimate other than if I had to give a quick guess that I was not going to be held to. Anyhow, being dependent on many things I am not looking for an exact answer just wondering if when being used if this is for the whole install minus fixtures or do you figure the service seperately. I was doing an average size new home back in 2002 or so for just around $7500 which came out to around 3.50sqf or so. How does that figure "general today", back then I was paying like $60 per 1Kft of 12/2 NM and now its like that much or more for 250ft.
I have been asked by a few GC's that are doing homes in the area to give them a psf idea on what I charge for new work and in my experience these houses after you do one or two go pretty quick cause they are typically all the same or a few of the same styles. But the material end of things I am waiting on some pricing from local suppliers.

Thanks

Teaspoon

I would say more like $3.75 per sq.ft. Excludeing light fixtures.
And a lot depending on the lay-out of the house. Height of ceilings,Number of recessed lights ECT.

wireguy8169

I would say more like $3.75 per sq.ft. Excludeing light fixtures.
And a lot depending on the lay-out of the house. Height of ceilings,Number of recessed lights ECT.

Thanks, yeah this is mainly just to give me an idea as to where I am going to be price wise and hope that I am competitive, but not too low

cadpoint

There are many, many threads on square foot pricing here! Mostly con as a way to present a price.

While it relates to others disciplines work very well, there are many facets as Teaspoon said that will whole heartly effect this type of charge.

I frankly don't see how one could present a Sq./price on a custom house.
Now a track house maybe that obtainable, with some plus or minus to the type of track (considering minor variable arrangements).

To me this is a number as you described in your OP that is obtainable after the work is done and not a upfront way price to quote by. Also you'd require much more hard data of jobs to state some Sq./price.

I think you'd be doing yourself a big disservice to bid on their terms.

JMO for all thats worth! :-?

CopperTone

i just did a new house 21k for a 2400 sq ft house - 25 recessed lights, outdoor lights, paddle fans, underground service, lots of cable and phone locations, and some extra's in the basement.

That is $8.75 per sq ft - so was I high? - the guy got 3 bids and I got the job - so was I low?

I hate sq ft pricing questions. If just doesn't work - a take off works. How many receptacles, switches, smokes, light fixtures, etc.

The only way to arrive at a sq ft price is to figure out the price first then divide that by the sq ft in the house - if you are wiring another house that is exactly the same then maybe your sq ft price from your last house would work.

480sparky

Square foot electrical work! square foot is ok for roofers, or sheathing installers.

I heard a story a long time ago, don't remember who it was.... they said they saw a Craigslist ad for any and all new resi construction wiring for $2/ft?. He called the guy up and verified the price..... two bucks per square foot. So he told him to meet him at a certain address.

The address was a house that needed a new service. He told the guy, "I need a new 200a overhead service put right here. I figure it's about 4 square feet...... Here's a twenty, keep the change."

Vertex

I heard a story a long time ago, don't remember who it was.... they said they saw a Craigslist ad for any and all new resi construction wiring for $2/ft?. He called the guy up and verified the price..... two bucks per square foot. So he told him to meet him at a certain address.

The address was a house that needed a new service. He told the guy, "I need a new 200a overhead service put right here. I figure it's about 4 square feet...... Here's a twenty, keep the change."

Ok, now that's just ridiculous. A service only takes up about two feet. A Shoddy calculation like that unnecessarily cost him $16.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.