Does "concrete-tight" include "direct burial"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread title basically says it all.
Specifically, can I install an Erickson-type (3-piece coupling) in a direct burial application? It is listed as concrete-tight but it does not specifically say listed suitable for direct-burial. Seriously . . . . I'm not trying to be nit-picky, but concrete-tight does not necessarily mean below exterior grade. Am I reading too much into the obvious?

Please don't suggest I concrete-encase just the coupling to meet the UL listing. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good question. I don't know the answer. Sort of like does suitable for direct burial also mean suitable for concrete encasement?

kwired

Electron manager
(KDER) - from the UL White Book

Ground clamps and other connectors suitable for use where buried in earth or embedded in concrete are marked for such use. The marking may be abbreviated "DB" (for "Direct Burial").

Does an erickson coupling fall under this category? It is a raceway fitting not a ground clamp or other connector.

iwire

Staff member
Are not all galvanized RMC fittings suitable for underground?
344.10 Uses Permitted.
(A) Atmospheric Conditions and Occupancies.
(1) Galvanized Steel and Stainless Steel RMC. Galvanized
steel and stainless steel RMC shall be permitted under
all atmospheric conditions and occupancies.

(B) Corrosive Environments.
(1) Galvanized Steel, Stainless Steel, and Red Brass
RMC, Elbows, Couplings, and Fittings. Galvanized steel,
stainless steel, and red brass RMC elbows, couplings, and
fittings shall be permitted to be installed in concrete, in
direct contact with the earth, or in areas subject to severe
corrosive influences where protected by corrosion protection
and judged suitable for the condition.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Before we get too far off track here I want mention that the OP wanted to know if an ericson could be used for direct bury and/or does concrete tight mean the same thing as direct bury. Sheplec brought up the point that set screw fittings are listed as concrete tight when taped. I think it was implied that concrete tight is not the same as DB but he said something about keeping water out. So I said, essentially, that nothing will keep water out as a separate tack on the discussion.

I don't think that concrete tight is the same as DB. I do think an ericson could be used underground because they are for use with RMC. What about thread-less RMC couplings?

I have not considered the possibility till now, but an RMC fitting is a RMC fitting is it not?

Concrete tight and direct burial are not designed to be watertight. If you want to keep the water out of a raceway, do not install the raceway where the potential for water entry exists. ;)

Concrete tight - designed to keep the concrete mixture from entry to the raceway

Direct burial - designed to be installed below grade.

*-definitions according to the lastest brain function of Pierre Belarge. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
Concrete tight and direct burial are not designed to be watertight. If you want to keep the water out of a raceway, do not install the raceway where the potential for water entry exists. ;)

Concrete tight - designed to keep the concrete mixture from entry to the raceway

Direct burial - designed to be installed below grade.

*-definitions according to the lastest brain function of Pierre Belarge. :cool:

If an underground raceway is indeed watertight it will be full of water - that is because it can't get out.

Unless the underground install is in an area with high ground water levels, or has rain water diverted to it somehow, most of the water will enter the raceway via condensation from daily temperature changes, especially in areas where high humidity frequently happens.

lakee911

If an underground raceway is indeed watertight it will be full of water - that is because it can't get out.

Unless the underground install is in an area with high ground water levels, or has rain water diverted to it somehow, most of the water will enter the raceway via condensation from daily temperature changes, especially in areas where high humidity frequently happens.

What if the raceway is sealed, as it is supposed to be? Wouldn't that limit the amount of moisture in the raceway?

iwire

Staff member
What if the raceway is sealed, as it is supposed to be? Wouldn't that limit the amount of moisture in the raceway?

Where does the NEC require the raceway to be water tight?

RMC couplings are straight thread not tapered so they will almost never be water tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.