Class I, Div 2 cord connected motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgunsel

A 480 VAC, 3 phase TEFC motor is to be installed on a floating platform. The area is classified as Class I, Division 2, Group D. The motor starter is in an explosion proof enclosure suitable for the classified area. Extra heavy duty cord with a grounding conductor will connect the motor with the starter. 501.10 (B)(2)(5) specifies a listed bushed fitting (not required to be specifically approved for Class I locations per handbook). Is a seal required between the starter enclosure and the motor?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A 480 VAC, 3 phase TEFC motor is to be installed on a floating platform. The area is classified as Class I, Division 2, Group D. The motor starter is in an explosion proof enclosure suitable for the classified area. Extra heavy duty cord with a grounding conductor will connect the motor with the starter. 501.10 (B)(2)(5) specifies a listed bushed fitting (not required to be specifically approved for Class I locations per handbook). Is a seal required between the starter enclosure and the motor?
The rules for flexible cords are in 501.140; they apply to both Division 1 and 2. See 501.140(B)(5) for a specific answer. You may want to review 501.140(A) to determine whether you are permitted to use a flexible cord at all.(I suspect you will find it is permissible, but I don't know all the details)

sgunsel

rbalex, Thanks for the added reference, but it still remains a bit murky.

Assuming that the use of cord is permitted between the starter and the motor, 501.140(B)(5) requires seals, but then "Exception to (5): Seals shall not be required as provided in 501.10(B) and 501.105(B)(6)."

501.10(B)(2)(5) specifies that flexible cord listed for extra hard usage and provided with listed bushed fittings (not required to be specifically approved for Class I locations per handbook).

It appears that a listed bushing for the cord entrance to the enclosure is acceptable, but this is none too clear.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
If cord is otherwise premissible you will need a seal at the starter enclosure but not at the motor. This is basically a "build up" of 501.15(E)(1); i.e., the seal is for the integrity of the enclosure and not the cable.

Last edited:

sgunsel

Is "cord" a "cable"? They seem to be differentiated in 400.
501501.15(E)(1) specifically refers to cables.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
In absence of formal definitions in the NEC itself, the NFPA Manual of Style (MOS) (Section 2.3.1.3.1) specifies Webster?s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition as the basis for words? ??ordinarily accepted meanings??

From Webster?s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition:
cord (noun)
1 a : a long slender flexible material usually consisting of several strands (as of thread or yarn) woven or twisted together
?
3 b : a small flexible insulated electrical cable having a plug at one or both ends used to connect a lamp or other appliance with a receptacle

cable (noun)
3 a : an assembly of electrical conductors insulated from each other but laid up together (as by being twisted around a central core)
From the above relevant definitions, it would appear that, for the purposes of our discussion, the terms cord and cable are basically interchangeable; but in any case, all cords are cables.

The basic principal to apply here is a regular cord connector will not maintain the integrity of an explosionproof enclosure; an appropiate seal must be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.