led light for pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjohnbarleycorn

680.23(A)(2) states "you need a transformer rated for pool and spa " for lights requiring a transformer. The Led lights that I use are under 15 volts, have no ground wire are ul listed for pools, they are two wire, there are no metal parts in the fixture. I run conduit that attaches to the fixture which is already installed in the permanent fiberglass pool.
I have been using regular yard light transformers, and they have passed. Should I be looking for pool and spa rated ones, or is that for over 15 volts> thanks

680.23(A)(2) states "you need a transformer rated for pool and spa " for lights requiring a transformer. The Led lights that I use are under 15 volts, have no ground wire are ul listed for pools, they are two wire, there are no metal parts in the fixture. I run conduit that attaches to the fixture which is already installed in the permanent fiberglass pool.
I have been using regular yard light transformers, and they have passed. Should I be looking for pool and spa rated ones, or is that for over 15 volts> thanks

It never ceases to amaze me what passes inspection.
I am curious, when you say "passes inspection", do you mean the individual just "passes by"?;):mad:

Yes, follow the requirements of all codes you are responsible for, regardless of who is passing by an installation you are installing.

I just looked at your profile...instructor and working in the field for 30yrs...wow!

after 30 years you would think I would know better>

I know that I came on a little strong. What I tend to do is hold instructors and inspectors on a much different level in regards to what they SHOULD know about the codes they are enforcing/teaching.

The NEC is a vast document, covering a very diverse industry. So, that means no one can know it all. But...if one is teaching or inspecting, it is their duty to learn/research for the answers to what they are doing.

So, do not take personally what I said, sometimes I can be a jerk.

nakulak

forgive my ignorance on this subject (please note: I am just an electrician), however, the class 2 ckt described is governed by article 725, no ?

725.3 A thru G does not list article 680 as "Other Article" that applies, and I cannot find a referene to 680 in 725. How does article 680 apply to this installation (other than your opinion that it does ?)

nakulak

the transformers noted in 680.23 A 2 do not apply to this installation, because 725 says they don't apply. A transformer that does not fall under 725 would have to meet 680.23 A 2.

I cannot find any article in the NEC that says "you have to go to article 680 first"

nakulak

I reread the article, and I also can't find anywhere that states that article 680 supercedes artilce 725. Is there a formal interpretation that says this, or some other wording that does ? (I am very curious, because a lot of people seem to think so)

nakulak

Ok, I guess 411.4 B prohibits it because it is lighting. It seems that non-lighting class 2 ckts would still be allowed near the pool, though ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see what 725 has to do with this at all. 680.23 are the req. for a light in a pool so why does 725 come into play. Art. 680 is specifically for pools so why would 725 supercede- makes no sense to have art 680.23(A)(2) if it didn't apply.

stjohnbarleycorn

I know that I came on a little strong. What I tend to do is hold instructors and inspectors on a much different level in regards to what they SHOULD know about the codes they are enforcing/teaching.

The NEC is a vast document, covering a very diverse industry. So, that means no one can know it all. But...if one is teaching or inspecting, it is their duty to learn/research for the answers to what they are doing.

So, do not take personally what I said, sometimes I can be a jerk.

no you are right, and I have to admit I am not as sharp as I used to be. Maybe I am not as focused on it as I used to be when it was the biggest part of my life.

as a side note I checked on the transformer that I had used a couple of years ago and now the do have a label. "NOT FOR SUBMERSIBLE LIGHT" on the package.
Originally when they were first being used in the area, I called the manufacturer and they recommended the transformer that I used.

I see the reasoning behind it. thanks for the help. I do use this forum as part of my research.

Status
Not open for further replies.