sleeving al ser through pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken 6789

Is it ok to run al 2-2-2-4 ser in 2" pvc conduit? I would like to run ser cable to 100 amp panel approx 20' inside from external disc. I will run 2" pvc from meter/disc combo down to LB and stub a 12" piece of pvc inside with bushing on end where ser cable would run through. I don't think this would be a problem but would like other opinions. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It might be SOP, but IMO a 2" LB makes it just about impossible to comply with the minimum bend radius required by 338.24.

And yet we can install 3 3/0 conductors with no problem. I have a bit of an issue with the bending radius but you definitely have a point. It seems even in our strict areas they don't call it.

jetlag

This install is done all the time and I see no issue with it as long as the ser is above ground.

I cant find it now but there is a code that an open ended conduit can only exit the top of the panel and must be between 18 " and 10 ft long . I got flagged for that one time , but It was branch circuits from an outside panel , but I dont understand because it is done all the time for wire protection.

lakee911

I cant find it now but there is a code that an open ended conduit can only exit the top of the panel and must be between 18 " and 10 ft long . I got flagged for that one time , but It was branch circuits from an outside panel , but I dont understand because it is done all the time for wire protection.

I've never heard of that, but I don't understand why it would be allowed. Top entry conduits, especially with the other end open, seems like a good way to get water in the panel (condensation drips, or water if located below ground).

And yet we can install 3 3/0 conductors with no problem. I have a bit of an issue with the bending radius but you definitely have a point. It seems even in our strict areas they don't call it.

Doesn't SER have the grounded conductor wrapped around the two CCC? If so, complying with the bend radius might be a little more important. I would think that the wire on the outside of the bend could be stretched too far if you try to go too tight (small).

Last edited:

Ken 6789

I've never heard of that, but I don't understand why it would be allowed. Top entry conduits, especially with the other end open, seems like a good way to get water in the panel (condensation drips, or water if located below ground).

Doesn't SER have the grounded conductor wrapped around the two CCC? If so, complying with the bend radius might be a little more important. I would think that the wire on the outside of the bend could be stretched too far if you try to go too tight (small).

SEU has the grounded conductor wrapped around two CCC.
SER has 3 conductor, plus EGC. I'm using 2-2-2-4

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are correct-- art. 312.5(C). There are many issues with outdoor panels and thus the leniency that many inspectors afford with this type of install. Most outdoor panels in these areas have one or two 2" PVC coupling with a slip fitting and all the wires exit thru these. Totally against code but accept all over NC and other states.

Last edited:

jetlag

The conduit is not left open outside, it is for rewiring old houses , the 2" comes out the top of the outside panel , goes up the outside wall to attic level then an LB turns into attic crawl space. All the branch circuits are ran in the conduit , sometimes 2 conduits are needed or a 2.5 '" pvc . see 312.5 c exception

jetlag

You are correct-- art. 312.5(C). There are many issues with outdoor panels and thus the leniency that many inspectors afford with this type of install. Most outdoor panels in these areas have one or two 2" PVC coupling with a slip fitting and all the wires exit thru these. Totally against code but accept all over NC and other states.

Have you ever understood why they want the conduit to come out the top of the panel ? I got flagged on a repair for coming out the bottom of an outside panel with a short pvc to an lb to go through the top of the masonry foundation. I ran the new cables through to replace the wires vandals had cut from under the house . I got flagged for conduit being less than 18 " , . conduit must exit top of panel , open end of conduit must be sealed . He made me come out top of panel . 90 back down to the lb . Then go under and set more j boxes because my cables would not reach , I was not a happy camper. I never took a job in his territory of the city again .

Status
Not open for further replies.