Square D NQ series panel customized for a 240/120 volt, 4-wire, delta service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamsdebout

I was told this panel (see attached pic) will not allow single phase loads to be connected to the high-leg. I am still fairly green and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this line of panels or others from other manufacturers where you didn't need to skip panel spaces when connecting single phase loads on a 240/120 volt, 4-wire delta service.

P1040346.jpg

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
That panel appears to have the high leg on 3,4,9,10,15 and 16. As long as you don't use those for 120v you should be OK. Check to see what leg the buss is on before you install a 120v breaker. The ones I have come across do not prevent you from putting a 120v circuit on a high leg. They are configured for a certain number of high leg loads and the rest are 120v.

tesi1

delta panelboard

delta panelboard

sq-d & other mfg's on factory assembled panelboards will sometimes custom
make the buss or breaker tabs so only the number of 3-phase or 2-pole 240 volt listed breakers will only connect to the 3-phase and or delta buss
(phase b ), with the balance of the breaker space usable only to the single phase loads.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Actually the bussing in most panelboards, as opposed to loadcenters, is fairly flexible in what can be attached to it. Breakers almost never connect directly on the bus bar, instead they attach to separate fingers (even if they are bolt-on style). When the panel is customized at the factory, they simply make part of the panel using only the A and C fingers. Because these fingers are often a standard field repair part, there would be no reason that you would be prevented from doing the same thing (as long as you changed the any wiring diagram included with the panel)

Status
Not open for further replies.