Inspection Judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I put this here because I think it has to do with teaching Inspectors how to do the job.

This is not hypothetical, I did this.

I approved a service with Schedule 40 PVC (white plumbing pipe).

The POCO would not connect power and made the homeowners use (change to) the gray pipe.

Homeowners got mad and called the state. The state called me and said that I did not know what I was doing.

Who was right?

I am baiting you here. So do not assume anything.

Should I have approved it?
Could I approved it?
Was I required to approved it?

Think before you answer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Due to the "baiting".....
How was the pipe being used ? As a conduit ? What conductors were within ?

mcclary's electrical

I put this here because I think it has to do with teaching Inspectors how to do the job.

This is not hypothetical, I did this.

I approved a service with Schedule 40 PVC (white plumbing pipe).

The POCO would not connect power and made the homeowners use (change to) the gray pipe.

Homeowners got mad and called the state. The state called me and said that I did not know what I was doing.

Who was right?

I am baiting you here. So do not assume anything.

Should I have approved it?
Could I approved it?
Was I required to approved it?

Think before you answer.

The PVC was on the poco side? If so, you made the right call.

If not,(if the pvc was between meter and panel)then the homeowner has a right to be mad.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I'm assuming that you left out some pertinent information to make this thread last longer than it should. :roll:

Yes. Because I think it will help make a point. We ALL assume too much.

More info.

What I approved.

The white pvc protecting the conductors from the disconnect to a manufactured home disconnect. Gray pipe (new) was installed on the utility side.

mcclary's electrical

More info.

What I approved.

The white pvc protecting the conductors from the disconnect to a manufactured home disconnect. Gray pipe (new) was installed on the utility side.

If this was a SERVICE inspection, you made the right call. Everything past that disconnect is not the service.

mcclary's electrical

More info.

What I approved.

Also, if the cable was rated for direct burial, you could call this sleeve, not a conduit.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Also part of what I left out was that this was an existing service.

In Ohio unless something is unsafe, now or like in the next 5 minutes, it's use is allowed to continue.

raider1

Staff member
I'm assuming that you left out some pertinent information to make this thread last longer than it should. :roll:

I agree.

Also part of what I left out was that this was an existing service.

In Ohio unless something is unsafe, now or like in the next 5 minutes, it's use is allowed to continue.

So how am I supposed to know what the Ohio statutes are for existing installations.:roll:

Please give us the whole story with all the pertinent information, this attempt to "educate" by give little bit and pieces is getting very annoying.

Chris

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I agree.

So how am I supposed to know what the Ohio statutes are for existing installations.:roll:

Please give us the whole story with all the pertinent information, this attempt to "educate" by give little bit and pieces is getting very annoying.

Chris

You have all the facts now. Part of learning is thinking. The point is not to just pick the code book up and go inspect. Other factors may apply.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I agree.

Chris

Maybe your state or others handle this the same way.

If this post has no value then please close it.

raider1

Staff member
You have all the facts now. Part of learning is thinking. The point is not to just pick the code book up and go inspect. Other factors may apply.

But when I have not been given all the pertinent information this exercise is futile, and appears as you are just trying to play games.

Maybe your state or others handle this the same way.

There is nothing in the laws in Utah that permit existing installations that violated the code when installed to be allowed to remain.

If this post has no value then please close it.

There may have been value to this thread, but it is kind of been lost.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.