Failed inspection for two cables in one plastic K/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

Those screw type cut ins are awesome, they work so much better than the blue cut ins with the ears... The blue cut ins usually hold the yoke off of the wall so the plate doesnt sit flat, esp with a 2 gang with 2 diva dimmers.

This is not an answer to your post but, when I have a spot that I can not get a hammer in I have an old set of linemans pliers if you put the flat side on the nail head and hit the other side of the pliers with the hammer it will drive the nail typically: you could use a flat bar too just hit what ever you do as close to the outside of the stud as you can. Maybe you know this but thought I would share it. :grin:

One of the first things I learned to do as an apprentice working on houses.;)

Reference 2008 NEC

Read article 314.17.C exception. As long as all other requirements are met the last sentence says "Multiple cable entries shall be permitted in a single cable knockout opening". Our Authority some years ago started enforcing the "nails only mounting application" with these type boxes. Ruling is that it alters the box and voids its listing. He may have you on that one but no the multiple entries as long as it is a single gang box.

macmikeman

What I love about this thread is the idea that any journey level electrician is expected to be able to do the loading calculations for a ten story building, and the house next door to the ten story building, and size all the conductors properly to manage any overloading, and further be able to determine the proper wire size to allow some of those conductors to run in a conduit in a wet location on a roof that is sometimes exposed to the sunlight, and yet he must have a donkey at city hall decide he is not capable of good enough judgment of electrical safety to put two cables into a single opening in a nail on box...... That there doesn't make sense.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
What I love about this thread is the idea that any journey level electrician is expected to be able to do the loading calculations for a ten story building, and the house next door to the ten story building, and size all the conductors properly to manage any overloading, and further be able to determine the proper wire size to allow some of those conductors to run in a conduit in a wet location on a roof that is sometimes exposed to the sunlight, and yet he must have a donkey at city hall decide he is not capable of good enough judgment of electrical safety to put two cables into a single opening in a nail on box...... That there doesn't make sense.

That might be what he's "expected" to be able to do, but you would be surprised how few electricians can draw a simple electrical plan.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.