waterpipe bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

For code for water pipe bonding on a well system; I usually install the bonding conductor to the nearest cold water pipe, then just jump out the water heater, and if gas, jump to gas pipe. on city water, It depends on if incomming water is poly or copper. I'll still have to jump out water meter and heater, but still not sure if the bonding conductor still must be run total length to water entrance on both water entrance materials (poly and copper). Also if water entrance piping is copper, Is a ground rod(s) still required? Any help;

Thanks;
Howard Richman

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am having trouble reading your post. If the incoming water line is plastic then you can bond the copper, in the house, at any point. If the incoming is copper then you must bond within 5' of where the pipe enters the building and it must be continuous to the service.

The gas lines can be bonded thru the egc of the wire that feeds the furnace. 250.104(B). No special bonding is necessary unless the gas pipe is the CSST piping.

Generally ground rods are always req. unless you have chosen to use a ufer or other means.

howardrichman

Thanks for reply;
I sort of figured what you said. With a poly incoming line then; I shouldn't have to jump out the water meter...

Howard Richman

howardrichman

Did you read the part where Dennis said "then you can bond the copper, in the house, at any point." Just wanted to make sure.

Well; Even though what is said is correct; Inspectors have made sure The water meter was jumped out Even w/ a poly incomming line. I couldn't see the point, but didn't want to argue.

Howard Richman

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well; Even though what is said is correct; Inspectors have made sure The water meter was jumped out Even w/ a poly incomming line. I couldn't see the point, but didn't want to argue.

Howard Richman

Did you use monofilament as a jumper around the meter?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.