conductor derating/conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

need to derate conductors because there are approx 30 current carrying conductors in a conduit, wiring is for workstations. when is it applicable to use Table B.310.11 in Annex B?

jwjrw

I believe the table in annex b is the same one in 310.15(b)(2)(a)
The annex is just for informational purposes only.

jwjrw

You use that table anytime you have more than that 3 CCC's in a raceway. Also when bored holes are fire caulked and I think when cables are bundled together.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For 4-6 or 7-9 conductor the derating factors are the same as 310.15(b)(2)(a). When you exceed 9 CCC's you can use this table where the load diversity is 50%.

I'm guessing that this table will not apply to your installation.

Last edited:

jwjrw

For 4-6 or 7-9 conductor the derating factors are the same as 310.15(b)(2)(a). When you exceed 9 CCC's you can use this table where the load diversity factor is 50%.

I'm guessing that this table will not apply to your installation.

Infinity will you define "load diversity factor" for me?

480sparky

Derating and fill are two separate issues.

Derating is reducing the ampacity due to a variety of issues. Fill is how many little circles will fit inside a big circle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Infinity will you define "load diversity factor" for me?
You could simply use the NEC's definition. But then again, it doesn't have one. :roll:

By the way, the term is "load diversity," not "load diversity factor." ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could simply use the NEC's definition. But then again, it doesn't have one. :roll:

Yes, the correct term is load diversity not load diversity factor.
I will correct my earlier post. :)

Here's a definition from IEEE:

The difference between the sum of the maxima
of two or more individual loads and the coincident of combined maximum load usually measured over a specified period.

Here's a simpler version:

Diversity occurs in an operating system because not all loads connected are operating simultaneously or are not simultaneously operating at their maximum rating.

jwjrw

I looked in the NEC and didn't see it anywhere so I thought I would ask. The wording is a little confusing. At least to me it is.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.