Sub-Panel Locations/Series rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

Good Evening Gentlemen
I have a project with a 400Amp single phase metered panel with (2) 200 amp subs. I would like to locate (1) of these panels in the master bedroom closet. I am unable to find any area of the code addressing panels in walk in closets. I would assume as long as I have my 30"x36" I should be OK. Any thoughts?
I also was curious if I am able to subfeed my Murray panel from my Millbank 400. I have dealt with series rating on my commercial projects but I am unsure if it applies to residential 10,000 AIC panel boards as well?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Forget the closet:

240.24(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

earshavewalls

2008 NEC, Art. 240.24(D): Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

That pretty much says it all.

As to the series rating, do you know the available fault current from the utility transformer for a 400amp service? In my area (southern CA), it averages 22K. I would check with your local electrical utility to find out. They typically have that information readily available. Don't assume that it is automatically 10K or less just because it's a single-phase drop.

It makes no difference if it's residential or commercial, series rating is still required. In a 10KAIC system, you are simply fully rated, since all of your devices will typically be rated at 10K minimum.

Good luck,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.