Leviton's new GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Just might make it doable in some of the old 1920's houses with small boxes
Do-able for the hammer handle method . . . in my area, most of that era's boxes are 2x3x2.5 and from Table 314.16(A) that's only 12.5 cubic inches. One is limited to three K&T conductors, two BX conductors, or two NM conductors. All too many of of the situations given to us from that time have more than that.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I've wondered if it is acceptable to remove the non used clamp based on the fact the install instructions doesn't state you can. I do when I need the room , like with a GFCI receptacle.

I allways take the unused clamp out, more room for the wires:roll:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I allways take the unused clamp out, more room for the wires:roll:

Same here, then I put the ground screw in the threaded hole from the clamp, it gives a little more distance from the incoming cable and easier to loop.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've wondered if it is acceptable to remove the non used clamp based on the fact the install instructions doesn't state you can. I do when I need the room , like with a GFCI receptacle.
If the instructions don't say you can't, you can, and I have.

I've even re-used the same screw for the EGC.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
0524.jpg

Raco box #524 -- 3" x 2" Switch Box, 2-1/2" Deep, Gangable, MC/BX Cable clamps, Wood/Metal Stud Bracket

that box is specifically designed for MC/BX, look at the MC/BX clamp on bottom of box

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
boxes are 2x3x2.5 and from Table 314.16(A) that's only 12.5 cubic inches. One is limited to three K&T conductors, two BX conductors, or two NM conductors.

Care to share your calculation? Why can't you fit a three conductor cable in this box? Certainly a 14-2 would work.

iwire

Staff member
IMO it is because they do not want the removal of the device to interrupt the grounding of the box.

That is the reason no device comes with two grounding screws as well.

masterinbama

The receptacle has the grounding clip on the yoke. I have never understood why it's allowed to ground the receptacle, but not the other way (receptacle grounds the box).

IMO it is because they do not want the removal of the device to interrupt the grounding of the box.

That is the reason no device comes with two grounding screws as well.

Even after 30+ years in the trade, I am still amazed at how simple some things are when looked at from a different perspective.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
IDK ,But look at 250.148(C):roll:
250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
(C) Metal Boxes. A connection shall be made between the one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for no other purpose, equipment listed for grounding, or a listed grounding device.
Go to the ground screw manufacturer's web site and see if you can find a plain old ground screw that is "listed". The plain old screw for grounding is in a class by itself as it doesn't have to be listed, it can be listed, but it doesn't have to be listed.

The red highlight in my quote above is a complete item and does not contain the word "listed". "Equipment listed for grounding, or a listed grounding device" are two more ways that the metal box can be connected.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Go to the ground screw manufacturer's web site and see if you can find a plain old ground screw that is "listed". The plain old screw for grounding is in a class by itself as it doesn't have to be listed, it can be listed, but it doesn't have to be listed.

The red highlight in my quote above is a complete item and does not contain the word "listed". "Equipment listed for grounding, or a listed grounding device" are two more ways that the metal box can be connected.

thanks AL good post :)

I thought that in one of the older code books that the code required ground screws to be listed . But after looking all the way back to 1981 code the wording in 250.148 has not changed , just moved around:roll:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I thought that in one of the older code books that the code required ground screws to be listed .
:) You're most welcome.

The State of MN Electrical Licensing and Inspection Dept. did an 8 hour continuing ed class solely devoted to "The Myths of Grounding", about 2 years back. This "listing of ground screws" and "ground screws must be green" were two of the of the myths.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Just to get back on topic, me thinks the manufacture and availabilty of this smaller GFCI receptacle is long overdue. Somebody at Leviton is thinking of the electician trying to stuff that GFCI into the box. Hats off to Leviton. I would expect the other device manufacturers to follow suit.

billyzee

Tape Measure

Tape Measure

There is something Esher-esque about the tape measure. Can anyone tell me what circumference is displayed in that picture. Marketing...blah

Status
Not open for further replies.