receptacle terminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

conduitman

All my career, On a receptacle with No compression plates for the conductors,backtwist the strands, wrap around the screw and tighten.
Now a major debate has developed over the manditory use of crimp connectors (sta-kons) based on 110-14a.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
All my career, On a receptacle with No compression plates for the conductors,backtwist the strands, wrap around the screw and tighten.
Now a major debate has developed over the manditory use of crimp connectors (sta-kons) based on 110-14a.

(A) Terminals. Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors (including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.
Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

I don't see the words "shall not".
If someone wants to say you have to use "sta-kons" ask them to show you a requirement to do so. At a minimum show you (and me) where on the outlet it says "for solid wire only".

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Tamper-Resistant, Duplex Grounding Receptacle. 15 amp, 125 volt. White.
FEATURES

* Meets 2008 National Electrical Code Tamper-Resistant requirements.
* Protects children: patented shutter system helps prevent improper insertion of foreign objects.
* High-impact resistant thermoplastic construction.
* Extra-long strap.
* Quickloop wire looping aid.
* Long-term blade retention.
* Longer tri-drive screws for easier 12 AWG looping.
* Extra-large circuit break-off tabs.
* Side-access push wire release.
* Ultrasonic welding of face to back body.
* Side wire accepts #12 ? #14 AWG solid wire.
* Push wire accepts #14 AWG solid only.
* Superior protection than traditional outlet caps or protection plates.
* Low profile face.
* Traditional contoured face (3232 models).
* Self-grounding models provide automatic ground clip.

If you installed the above receptacle with 12 stranded wrapped around it you would violate 110.3(B)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Just goes to show you, it is important to look when using a different part.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Tamper-Resistant, Duplex Grounding Receptacle. 15 amp, 125 volt. White.
FEATURES

* Meets 2008 National Electrical Code Tamper-Resistant requirements.
* Protects children: patented shutter system helps prevent improper insertion of foreign objects.
* High-impact resistant thermoplastic construction.
* Extra-long strap.
* Quickloop wire looping aid.
* Long-term blade retention.
* Longer tri-drive screws for easier 12 AWG looping.
* Extra-large circuit break-off tabs.
* Side-access push wire release.
* Ultrasonic welding of face to back body.
* Side wire accepts #12 ? #14 AWG solid wire.
* Push wire accepts #14 AWG solid only.
* Superior protection than traditional outlet caps or protection plates.
* Low profile face.
* Traditional contoured face (3232 models).
* Self-grounding models provide automatic ground clip.

If you installed the above receptacle with 12 stranded wrapped around it you would violate 110.3(B)
The information does not say "solid only" for side wired #12 and #14. I would submit that that receptacle is in violation of the listing standards. The standard says that receptacles of that type are suitable for use with either solid or stranded conductors.

If you were to go to the UL White Book, you would see that generally speaking, the use of stakon type crimp connecters in NOT permitted. Just recently the manufacturers have started listing SOME (not all) of the devices as suitable for termination with Stakon type connectors.

Take a look at some of the product catalogs. You will be able to determine which of the devices the manufacturer produces is permitted to be terminated with Stakon type crimp connectors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tinning stranded wire for use in a screw terminal is not a good idea. Over time the solder will cold-flow and allow the screw to loosen.
My experience has been that tinning also increases the likelihood of the wire breaking at the edge of the screwhead.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The information does not say "solid only" for side wired #12 and #14. I would submit that that receptacle is in violation of the listing standards. The standard says that receptacles of that type are suitable for use with either solid or stranded conductors.

I would submit that if you look at Pass Seymour hospital grade receptacles you will indeed see the #12 and #14 stranded and solid wire listed. The cheaper receptacles only listed the solid #12 and #14 conductors for the side terminals. Please forward the standard.

jumper

I would submit that if you look at Pass Seymour hospital grade receptacles you will indeed see the #12 and #14 stranded and solid wire listed. The cheaper receptacles only listed the solid #12 and #14 conductors for the side terminals. Please forward the standard.

I was bored, so I looked it up for him. Here ya go:

Terminals of the wire-binding screw, setscrew, or screw-actuated back-wired clamping types are suitable for use with both solid and stranded building wires.

From this:

RTRT.GuideInfo
Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs

Found here:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073992975&sequence=1

kwired

Electron manager

Those receptacles likely have pressure plate type connections and you are not limited to using screw termination only. I have never seen a hospital grade recep that did not have pressure plate type connections. I have not seen a lot of hospital grade receps but have been around a few.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As I noted in another thread, the text you quoted is titled FEATURES. Such listing on a product's data sheet, packaging, etc. is for marketing purposes, not required to be all inclusive, nor should it be construed as the manufacturer's instructions.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Those receptacles likely have pressure plate type connections and you are not limited to using screw termination only. I have never seen a hospital grade recep that did not have pressure plate type connections. I have not seen a lot of hospital grade receps but have been around a few.

thats was my point, the more expensive ones will have the pressure plate and the cheap ones will not. You should have to use pressure plates or stak ons for stranded wire, I have seen some real hack jobs with stranded #10 and #12 on receptacles.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that all "listed" receptacles with screw terminals are suitable for use with stranded wire.

kwired

Electron manager
thats was my point, the more expensive ones will have the pressure plate and the cheap ones will not. You should have to use pressure plates or stak ons for stranded wire, I have seen some real hack jobs with stranded #10 and #12 on receptacles.

I have never seen a "cheap" hospital grade receptacle.

I have landed stranded conductors under screw terminals for 15 - 20 years on a fairly regular basis. I can not recall ever having a call back because one of them failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.