Over voltage, Surge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks27

The local power co. Did a transformer changeout here at our community and when the power came back on we had a number of people with electronic appliances that have (blown out) wont come on at all. my question is what condition can cause this? did they switch something while under load? or leave the nuetral leg disconnected? the bldg service is 120/240 y 1 phase.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would first ask why the utility company changed the transformer. If there had been a failure (fire, explosion, etc.), that failure could have caused the damage to the tenants' equipment, and nobody would know about it until the power came back on.

sparks27

As far as I know the utility co. changed out the transformer for preventive maint. I dont believe it failed or went out (no report of power failure) I also seem to find the devices plugged into plug strips didn't have failures. but direct plug devices failed. we also had one small flat screen tv 24" caught fire, damaging the walls and ceiling, nobody home thankfully!

pete m.

Not that I'm an expert but one possibility, as you mentioned, could be that the grounded conductor was the last connected. Even this would be a stretch in my mind... in that why would the utility hook up the secondary while energized?

Pete

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds like a severe over-voltage to me. A simple equipment-replacement reenergization would (or should) be no different than that following a power outage.

My guess: they used the wrong transformer or connections, and then discovered the error, but are not willing to admit it. It may be time to get legal as a group.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Sounds like a severe over-voltage to me. A simple equipment-replacement reenergization would (or should) be no different than that following a power outage.

My guess: they used the wrong transformer or connections, and then discovered the error, but are not willing to admit it. It may be time to get legal as a group.

I agree with Larry.
Deny, deny, deny. That is what they will do till a lawyer shows up.....

Jim W in Tampa

I rather dought they put the fuse in untill all connections were made. They might have somehow goofed (it happens to all of us). Perhaps forgot to install neutral or bad connection. I am sure they know what happened but are not talking. If poco not willing to pick up the bill then get together with a lawyer. The only way you had that much damage is they did something wrong. Your insurance will likely cover it but claims raise your rate

sparks27

Thanks ,for the responses. the poco. has directed those with claims to send in a report of damage, time, and any invoices for appliances and they will review them for reimbursment. but yea, they apparently made some kind of mix up! just wondering if we ever find out what it was?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Thanks ,for the responses. the poco. has directed those with claims to send in a report of damage, time, and any invoices for appliances and they will review them for reimbursment. but yea, they apparently made some kind of mix up! just wondering if we ever find out what it was?

Only if you get your hands on an internal memo where someone was dumb enough to put it in print or someone tells you in strict confidence who will later Deny, deny, deny.

Jim W in Tampa

They are doing the same as most here would do and even be directed to do. Cover your own a--
Am sure was accident and likely with so many claims will not need go to court. Its part of doing buisness.Thankfully no fire or injury

Status
Not open for further replies.