GE Arc Fault Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I installed a GE single pole 15 amp arc fault for some lighting in a condo. The breaker will occasionally trip to the off position on the breaker when some recessed cans and low voltage track lights are turned on together. Would the breaker be detecting an arc fault or an overload condition? I'm not sure? Any thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet they are Halo cans. There has been lots of issues with halo cans and also their lamp extenders, tripping afci.

bphgravity

My guesses:

1. A ground-fault condition. (grounded conductor to EGC contact)

2. an arcing condition.

3. a overload.

4. Bad breaker.

chris1971

4" halo cans. Ikea low voltage track lighting. Cans work until track lighting is turned on and vice versa.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
My guesses:

1. A ground-fault condition. (grounded conductor to EGC contact)

2. an arcing condition.

3. a overload.

4. Bad breaker.

If you give all the possible conditions that cause an afci to trip then one must be right. :)

BTW, I have had only one afci by GE that was a problem.

jwjrw

I bet they are Halo cans. There has been lots of issues with halo cans and also their lamp extenders, tripping afci.

Dennis Halo is the brand we always use. Every remodel we do usually has can lighting in most rooms. We have not had any issues with arc faults tripping. We do not use Ge though. Have you heard of other brands of arc's tripping with Halo's?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis Halo is the brand we always use. Every remodel we do usually has can lighting in most rooms. We have not had any issues with arc faults tripping. We do not use Ge though. Have you heard of other brands of arc's tripping with Halo's?
Absolutely-- I am telling you this has been an issue for years. It's a Halo problem and not all the time. I had problems with CFL lamps in the 4" cans and friends who use Cutler Hammer have had problems with the socket extender.

Not sure why the tracks would cause the problem.

bphgravity

If you give all the possible conditions that cause an afci to trip then one must be right. :)

That was the point...

Most troubleshooting is a process of elimination. The first step is to identify all the possible sources of the problem.

There are only so many things that can cause a breaker to trip...

chris1971

Follow up to Arc Fault question

Follow up to Arc Fault question

I removed the low voltage track lighting from the circuit and the arc fault no longer trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.