Would you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Took a job that was started by someone else (T&M), while looking at the job I noticed that the bonding screw was used in the panel and made a note to myself. Now that I am doing the job I found that the services is bonded at the meter at the street so thats good (some may have seen a post regarding this),

Anyhow, I have found that someone even though the ground and grounding buss are seperated has landed EG's on the neutral. I can simply make it correct not a problem but I am not sure where they go and what they go to, and do not want to inadvertantly cause more issues. Any suggestions (know thats opening a can of worms :grin: ), and if I do and something happens could I be held liable. I spent the better part of the morning documenting what was done and taking photos, but still know that the burden of proof is on me if I begin changing what has been done.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The bonding screw makes the grounding bar connected to the neutral bar. You can connect an egc to the neutral bar but I don't believe you can connect the neutral to the equipment grounding bar.

wireguy8169

The bonding screw makes the grounding bar connected to the neutral bar. You can connect an egc to the neutral bar but I don't believe you can connect the neutral to the equipment grounding bar.

was taught to seperate them after the main and knew why but never knew you could do the egc to the neutral just knew you were not suppose to but the neutral on the grounding buss at that point. I will look at that section...thanks

Last edited:

wireguy8169

I should have reference the article-- 200.2(B)

Just looked at that reference the code book

(B) Continuity. The continuity of a grounded conductor
shall not depend on a connection to a metallic enclosure,
raceway, or cable armor.

not sure I understand how this allows the egc to be connected to the neutral buss...could you explain further please...

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
There is a main breaker in the panel but I have not been out to the pole to see if there is a disconnect out there its on a pole about 300 feet out by the road...I will check in the morning

Do you have two ungrounded and a grounded or two ungrounded, a grounded and a egc?

Btw I think you have all the liabilty now. You took this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.