EGS with poly water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

Since the city water suppy enters the residence via a poly pipe and there are no other suitable primary grounding electrodes available to statisfy 250.53. I must bond the copper water pipes using Table 250.66. My conductor is 4/0 AL so I believe a bare #4 would be correct. Would you agree.
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Since the city water suppy enters the residence via a poly pipe and there are no other suitable primary grounding electrodes available to statisfy 250.53. I must bond the copper water pipes using Table 250.66. My conductor is 4/0 AL so I believe a bare #4 would be correct. Would you agree.
Thanks
I agree but it need not be bare.-- if we are talking copper.

I should clarify. If the egc is copper then #4 is good otherwise #2 aluminum

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Thanks

PS

I re-read your post. Are you saying you have NO electrodes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have multiple occupany it only needs to be a #6. Go figure. If I am reading 250.104(A)(2) correctly.

This is true but that only applies to the specific install they mention-- where all copper pipes are isolated from the other occupancies by nonmetalic pipe and it would be bonded at the panel for that occupancy not the main service.

Status
Not open for further replies.