Voltage spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Friends
I need to protect a very sensitive piece of electronic equipment. Will I need to install all the following.
(1) TVSS
(2) Voltage regulator
(3) UPS

Are TVSS as sensitive as GFCI in other words does it pick up small spike. Can you buy them with different range.

Can I run the circuit for that electronic equipment in the same conduit with other circuits that feed pumps? will sharing conduit create spike when the pump start.

kwired

Electron manager
Hello Friends
I need to protect a very sensitive piece of electronic equipment. Will I need to install all the following.
(1) TVSS
(2) Voltage regulator
(3) UPS

Are TVSS as sensitive as GFCI in other words does it pick up small spike. Can you buy them with different range.

Can I run the circuit for that electronic equipment in the same conduit with other circuits that feed pumps? will sharing conduit create spike when the pump start.

If you buy the right product you will have all three items you mention in one unit.

hurk27

24 volts AC or DC?

Can a dual conversion UPS be placed at the source of the 24 volts? I.E. on the line side (120 volt) of the power supply? (With dual conversion, the load is always on the inverters clean power, and the utility power only recharges the battery's) this will give you all your requirements in one system.

For lightning protection?

If above is true, are all the wire runs in and out of the building ran as a single point entrance to the building through a ground window choke (bonded copper plate that all conductors run through and are bonded to)

Are all conductors ran out to equipment as a single pathway as much as possible?

Are all pumps bonded together along with all metallic components of equipment and or building bonded to the grounding electrode system at a single point. (the copper plate above)

for me to be more specific, I would need to know more of what the installation is?

Last edited:

brian john

1. What does the equipment draw?
2. How far from the power supply.
3. What is your exposure, to spikes? Location -mountain top? near a substation with HV switching? and a list of others you should investigate..

The best approach IMO would be multi-level TVSS with a TRUE on line UPS, But understand if the lighting or impulse has a long enough duration and magnitude, NOTHING MAY HELP.

hurk27

1. What does the equipment draw?
2. How far from the power supply.
3. What is your exposure, to spikes? Location -mountain top? near a substation with HV switching? and a list of others you should investigate..

The best approach IMO would be multi-level TVSS with a TRUE on line UPS, But understand if the lighting or impulse has a long enough duration and magnitude, NOTHING MAY HELP.

No Mountain tops in Grand Cayman;) If that is where this is)

Another thought is isolation from I/O's from outside to inside such as optical couplers, radio, fiber net.

Voltage Spike

Voltage Spike

Hello again
Many thanks for your comments, this is what I presently have.

(1) 3/4" pvc conduit 20' long carrying (5) 20A dp circuit, four of the circuits are for (4) pumps to which only (2) of the pumps will run at any given time. The other circuit is for the equipment.

The equipment burned during the time we had some bad weather.The owner replaced it,the power company came one day and was doing disconnecting and it got burned again.

Presently we are on temporary power, we have not got full power as yet.

TP

iwire

Staff member
The only way to fix it is to disconnect all paths to an EGC and ground the equipment to a single ground rod driven into the dirt. ;)

<JK Do not try this at home unless you are a grounding voodoo expert>

hurk27

Hello again
Many thanks for your comments, this is what I presently have.

(1) 3/4" pvc conduit 20' long carrying (5) 20A dp circuit, four of the circuits are for (4) pumps to which only (2) of the pumps will run at any given time. The other circuit is for the equipment.

The equipment burned during the time we had some bad weather.The owner replaced it,the power company came one day and was doing disconnecting and it got burned again.
Presently we are on temporary power, we have not got full power as yet.

TP

If this was a single pole (120 volt circuit feeding this equipment, I would say you had a bad neutral or the power company disconnected the neutral first before breaking the hots?

But your saying there is 5 double pole breakers 240 volt? or do you have the South America 220 volts? (Not sure about the Cayman Islands) if so a bad neutral should not effect this equipment, I still say a dual conversion UPS would be the system to go with to stop power quality problems if this is the main failure problem, but there are many things that would have to be done to lessen the effects of lightning, and looking for a UL certified lightning tech would be the best way to go, but it won't be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.