x-ray supply circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpd

517.71 says that the wiring method shall comply with chapters 1 through 4 except as modified by art. 517, if x-ray equipment is not in a patient care area then romex would be an acceptable wiring method if permitted by art. 334?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Maybe they are not doing x-rays of patients. :confused: I don't see how you could avoid the requirement of Art. 517.71 as the equipment is all connected

mpd

Maybe they are not doing x-rays of patients. :confused: I don't see how you could avoid the requirement of Art. 517.71 as the equipment is all connected

i am just curious why 517.71 refers you to chapters 1 through 4 for wiring methods, because art. 517 applies to health care facilities

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
i am just curious why 517.71 refers you to chapters 1 through 4 for wiring methods, because art. 517 applies to health care facilities

Because there are lots of more general requirements covered in Chapters 1-4. They can't put everything in 517.

For example, if you were installing the Xray with EMT, article 358 would apply, and that might tell you how you have to support the EMT. Article 310 would tell you what the ampacity of a particular size wire would be. Article 314 would specify what size you need for a particular junction box.

When you use 517, you have to refer back to chapters 1-4, although a lot of that is probably so automatic (like #12 for 20 amps), you don't even stop to think about it being a chapter 3 requirement.

Edit: And don't forget, it refers to Chapters 1-4 as ammended by 517. So 517 still says you can't use NM in a patient care area.

Status
Not open for further replies.