Butt splices used for cable termination into breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sespllc

I have a contractor that would like to use butt splices to terminate fine stranded cable into breakers....it has been suggested that they use the proper CE or UL listed crimp-on connectors, but to meet schedule they recommend using butt splices since they are onsite...I do not use these as a matter of course, but, is there a precedence for this application of butt splices?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a contractor that would like to use butt splices to terminate fine stranded cable into breakers....it has been suggested that they use the proper CE or UL listed crimp-on connectors, but to meet schedule they recommend using butt splices since they are onsite...I do not use these as a matter of course, but, is there a precedence for this application of butt splices?
Can say I've seen or heard of this before, but I seldom work with fine-stranded wire.

But what strikes my funny bone more is what type of installation is this that they are using fine-stranded wire? Typical premises wiring recognized by the NEC is not fine-stranded. Additionally, I don't ever recall a breaker spec on the stranding of the wire to be connected (not that I put much time into reading breaker spec's :D).

nhfire77

I have used butt splices go from say #4 to #6 so it will fit the breaker terminal.

If its a UL listed fine conductor splice, why not?

Job specs not withstanding.

Buck Parrish

Depending on the type of breaker. If you twist the ends real tight. I think I would trust the breaker connection. More then I would trust a butt splice. For example a sq-d qo type breaker would hold it tight.
But specs are specs, guess you got to go by them.

SPLandry

Fine conductor cable is common in Marina work

Fine conductor cable is common in Marina work

I have actually installed transition splices in the gutter of a panelboard in order to change from fine strand conductors to standard building wire. A properly completed butt splice utilizing heat shrink for insulation replacement takes up very little additional space as compared to the conductor, and I do not feel placing fine strand wire under a set screw of any desciption is acceptable, when you try to back off the setscrew the strands get caught in the threads, and bind up the set screw. In a perfect world I would perfer to use a compression lug, and bolt the conductor to the breaker, but that scenario is not very comon.

Jacob S

Today 03:44 PM
tkb How about wire ferrules?

Are they listed for this purpose? I always wondered, since they make them for up around 4/0. I use them all the time for terminating stranded low voltage connectors, but never for power.

Panduit 6awg

KentAT

IMO they want to use a product with a UL listing for a "splicing wire connector" (UL486C) for an application of a "terminal wire connector", (which the Scope of 486C specifically excludes as covered by 486C), so the UL listing wouldn't apply for the use.

"...1.5 This Standard does not apply to:
c) terminal wire connectors;..."

They should probably get the correct connectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.