Grounding arey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

I am installing 3 DMS signs (overhead highway message boards) on a road project. Grounding arey specs call for 4 20' cpopper ground rods driven 3' below ground level. What is the purpose of the 3' depth.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am installing 3 DMS signs (overhead highway message boards) on a road project. Grounding arey specs call for 4 20' cpopper ground rods driven 3' below ground level. What is the purpose of the 3' depth.

Why would they want 20' ground rods did not know they made them that long.

There is nothing in article 250 about 3' below grade:-?

mxslick

As a wild guess I would bet it is to prevent damage from vehicles, plows or future landscaping operations. Maybe even erosion.

Highway Depts, like some city operations, have strange requirements.

Just price your bid to account for the extra 3' deep trench/holes. :grin:

Leo, my guess on the 20' rods is because of the sandy soil in Cavie's neck of the woods.

Cavie

As a wild guess I would bet it is to prevent damage from vehicles, plows or future landscaping operations. Maybe even erosion.

Highway Dept's, like some city operations, have strange requirements.

Just price your bid to account for the extra 3' deep trench/holes. :grin:

Leo, my guess on the 20' rods is because of the sandy soil in Cavie's neck of the woods.

20' ground rods are two copper 10' x 5/8" rods with threaded couplings. Required by FDOT and local governments for all street lighting and traffic signals.

Ground rods for light poles only require 6" cover. Grounds rods for traffic controlers only call for 6" cover. CCTV cameras 6" cover. Seems the specs were cut and pasted for this project form different sources.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
20' ground rods are two copper 10' x 5/8" rods with threaded couplings. Required by FDOT and local governments for all street lighting and traffic signals.

Ground rods for light poles only require 6" cover. Grounds rods for traffic controlers only call for 6" cover. CCTV cameras 6" cover. Seems the specs were cut and pasted for this project form different sources.

Thanks you learn somthing new every day:)

Status
Not open for further replies.