Are fire alarm strobes req in conference rms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

I have a building that has FA strobes located throughout the building along with speakers. The engineer did not include a strobe in one conference room, but I need back up to prove to him why would need one. Can someone tell me if they are required in conference rooms. This room is 12x16.

ron

Typcially shown in the adopted building code.
For example, the IBC says ......

907.5.2.3 Visible alarms. Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in accordance with Sections 907.5.2.3.1 through 907.5.2.3.4.

907.5.2.3.1 Public and common areas. Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in public areas and common areas.

It will then be further desacribed in NFPA 72.

dhalleron

Ron nailed it. If it's a public or common area it needs a strobe. An individual person's office won't need it unless it is designated for hearing impaired. A room that more than one person will work in would require a strobe.

NFPA 72 won't tell you if it's needed, only how to install the strobe if another code says it's needed.

Gategator37

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your help, you nailed it. I knew that 72 would only tell me how to install it, but was having trouble locating it in 101 or IBC.

I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.