Nfpa-110

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick3120

I have couple of questions over NFPA-110 :-

1. Are there any code/requirements called from NFPA110/NEC/NFPA99/NFPA101/OSHA regarding the lightning/egress of generators??

2. In section 4, clause 4.1 of NFPA-110, it says the rating/reliablilty as per table 4.1 and 4.2..So, what does the 10 Seconds stands/mean in this table??
What I am wondering about is..does that 10 Seconds for EPSS stands for full load??

Regards,
Nick

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Emergency lighting not required by NFPA 110, NEC only covers wiring to E light outlets, don't know about other, it makes a difference if generator is inside or out

I believe the ten seconds is for the generator to be up to speed only required for an Article 700 application.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have couple of questions over NFPA-110 :-

1. Are there any code/requirements called from NFPA110/NEC/NFPA99/NFPA101/OSHA regarding the lightning/egress of generators??

2. In section 4, clause 4.1 of NFPA-110, it says the rating/reliablilty as per table 4.1 and 4.2..So, what does the 10 Seconds stands/mean in this table??
What I am wondering about is..does that 10 Seconds for EPSS stands for full load??

Regards,
Nick

Yes, there is a requireement for a battery powered light at the generator for indoor installations. Its not an egress thing -its more about providing some light for people who need to be around the generator if it fails to start during a power outtage.

The 10 seconds means the generator must start and transfer the load within 10 seconds of power being lost. Its for whatever load is on the generator. Its usually verified by actual tests - shut off the power and time the delay until the lights come back on.

Does that help, or am I not understanding the question?

nick3120

Steve,

As you mentioned about the requirements for battery lighting..could you please tell me where I can find that clause..So, I guess there are requirements which tell/says about the lighting within generator? I mean I do know the standard for Europe which clarifies this..but was just guessing where I can find the North America requirements..

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Steve,

As you mentioned about the requirements for battery lighting..could you please tell me where I can find that clause..So, I guess there are requirements which tell/says about the lighting within generator? I mean I do know the standard for Europe which clarifies this..but was just guessing where I can find the North America requirements..

NFPA 110-7.3.1
2002 edition.
But it depends on if it is a level 1 or level 2 EPSS

Is your application a legally required system?

nick3120

qcroanoke

It's Level-1 system, type-10 and thank you very much for pointing out the requirements..But if you will see the NFPA-110 A.7.3.3, it says "It is Recommended that a flash light or battery-powered light with a flexible cord be maintained in the housing".

So, not sure that if it's a regulation/code or just a recommened..I mean what does AHJ'S prefer in washington/Callifornia/Oregon??

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
qcroanoke

It's Level-1 system, type-10 and thank you very much for pointing out the requirements..But if you will see the NFPA-110 A.7.3.3, it says "It is Recommended that a flash light or battery-powered light with a flexible cord be maintained in the housing".

So, not sure that if it's a regulation/code or just a recommened..I mean what does AHJ'S prefer in washington/Callifornia/Oregon??

That must be new, all I have is 2002. Is that refering to an exterior genset?

Recommended is just that, recommended. Not required.
If it was required the word "shall" or "must" would have been used.
As far as what the AHJ's prefer I'm sure they would like to see it but unless it's a local amendment or in some other NFPA document that the jurisdiction has adopted they legally cannot require it.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
That must be new, all I have is 2002. Is that refering to an exterior genset?
It's not new. Was in my 2002 edition. Didn't see the A in there! But it is referencing an exterior genset. Is that what you have?

nick3120

It's just refering to EPSS/EPS..it doesn't say anything regarding exterior..I think NFPA-110 codes/requirements will tell you the class/type/EPS/EPSS and after that the codes/requirements apply to these..I am not sure about exterior or interior..I mean EPS/EPSS can be used interior/exterior of Hospital/Schools etc..

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Unless its changed, a battery powered light (unit equipment) is required for indoor locations. And a flashlight or something similar is recommended for exterior locations.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.