primary & secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

glene77is

Article please:)

Hendrix,
"Primary" and "Secondary" may not be the proper terms to use here,
although they may describe the situation you are in.

Art. 230.

The rule, as I understand it, is that conductors prior to OCPD control must not be mixed with conductors after OCPD control.

I have seen this situation installed wherein
(1) Service conductors were run in a trough into disconnects,
(2) along with feeders/branch conductors from the disconnects passing back into the trough and heading towards distribution conduit.

The fire hazard would be that a fault on the conductors after OCPD control could ignite the Service conductors (which have only the very large POCO fuses out on the power poles).
You are talking a large blue ball of fire in your trough.

glene77is

So if the secondary conductors are service conductors, what are the primary conductors?
;):D;):D:cool:

Smart,
(1) I think the OP is using terms about POCO wiring, not covered by NEC.
(2) I think the OP should be referring to premises wiring
which is covered by NEC.

I have experienced a situation wherein cables "before OCPD" and "after OCPD" were pulled through he same 10x10 trough.
This was after the POCO transformer and after the Service Meter.
Had to be replaced.

comments always welcome. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member

The primary side could be service conductor if you're stepping up the voltage before feeding a panel....no?
Hmmm...since this is an NEC forum, we can only consider those conductors which fall under NEC purview. As such, if the secondary conductors are service conductors, the primary conductors may be service conductors, but they can only be POCO service conductors...

If the service point was on the primary side of the transformer, the NEC requires a disconnecting means and OCPD for and before the transformer, and that would in effect be the service disconnecting means. Thus both the primary and secondary conductors would not be service conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Maybe you ment to use shift+smile for capital smiles? :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Maybe you guys should change your forum settings.

Click on My Profile on the forum toolbar, click on Edit Options under Settings and Options in Your Control Panel, and select Enhanced Interface - Full WSYIWYG Editing from the Message Editor Interface list under Miscellaneous Options.

Now, you'll have smilie icons to choose from. Whew! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.