Placement of receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyG03

I am a maintenance technician for a retail store in Maryland. We are building a cash register surround and I have a question on where I can place the receptacles. The unit will be powered with two 20 amp circuits via SJ cord plugged into a tele-power pole. From there it will have 12/3 MC running to the first two register stations then 12/2 MC running to the last two register stations. My question is on placement of the receptacles. I would line to mount 1900 boxes under the cabinets with a 3/4" device ring to bring me flush and use a stainless steel cover plate. My fear is that this would be against code because the receptacles would be flush mounted on the flat bottom surface of the unit. Is this a problem?
My other option is to cut holes with groumets and surface mount 1900 boxes on the side of the cabinets but this obviously would not look as nice.
Thanks for any advice!

480sparky

I think you'll run afoul when you started with the SJ cord.

Face up in the bottom of a cabinet just isn't a good design. Most cashwraps I've done they're in the back, up high and vertical.

CaseyG03

I think you'll run afoul when you started with the SJ cord.

Honestly, I do too but that is what they wanted. The tele-power pole is already in place so I really don't see another option. I'm thinking they wanted it to be "plug-in" so it would be considered a non-permanant fixture.

Face up in the bottom of a cabinet just isn't a good design. Most cashwraps I've done they're in the back, up high and vertical.
I can see several reasons why its not the best design from an electrical standpoint but I'm still wondering, is it against code?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is this SJ cord going to be concealed?

Roger

CaseyG03

Is this SJ cord going to be concealed?

Roger

The tele-power pole will be against a glass showcase in the cash-wrap. The 2 runs of SJ will plug into the pole with 20A male plugs. This will all be explosed. The Sj will then go through the toe-kick to a utility box and then 12/3 MC from there. The utility box was going to be placed on the next section down on the wrap with the SJ running under the showcase but if that an issue it can be placed directly where the SJ goes through the toe-kick.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I voice others concern with the cord. You need to take a look at 400.7 & 400.8 to see if your situation justifies it's use.
As far as the face up, I agree not a good idea, but, to my knowledge the only place the Code addresses it is 406.4(E) which applies to dwelling units and 314.27 which you might use as a reason not to install them in that manner.

CaseyG03

Thanks, I'm going to scrap the face-up idea even though 406.5E should not apply because its not a dwelling.
As far as the the SJ, after reading 400.7 & 400.8, I am going to try talking them into finding another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.