Listed or Labeled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris6245

Under 2008 NEC forgive me if this is a stupid question but I can't find it but have always been told that "Service Equipment" SHALL be listed or labeled, Where is this in the code book? Am I just missing it or is this one of those "I've always been told this" so it is code? I know 410.6 is there for Luminaires But I can't find it for service equipment, specificaly a Transition cabinet...Help.

Chris6245

I keep falling on 110.3 (B) but what I take that as is if it is listed or labeled it shall be installed per instructions...I don't take that as saying equipment SHALL be listed or labeled..Am I reading that right?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Under 2008 NEC forgive me if this is a stupid question but I can't find it but have always been told that "Service Equipment" SHALL be listed or labeled, Where is this in the code book? Am I just missing it or is this one of those "I've always been told this" so it is code? I know 410.6 is there for Luminaires But I can't find it for service equipment, specificaly a Transition cabinet...Help.

Look at 230.70 and read through (A).(B).(C)

Chris6245

Look at 230.70 and read through (A).(B).(C)

OK...That is for disconnecting means and it also doesn't say "Listed or Labeled" I am mainly concerned with a transition or "distribution" cabinet between the utility transformer and the metering or first means of disconnect.

Chris6245

230.66 is the best I can find right now.:cool:

I agree but that is still not telling me it has to be "Listed" as in UL or other listing companies.

The problem is we purchased a Transition Cabinet from Maysteel and it is not listed by UL, ETL or CA and I am trying to determine if we can use it. It's a nice cabinet, very well made and it is to our utility company specs but it is not listed and I always thought it HAD to be listed but I can't find in the code book where it says it "Shall be Listed"

I agree but that is still not telling me it has to be "Listed" as in UL or other listing companies.

The problem is we purchased a Transition Cabinet from Maysteel and it is not listed by UL, ETL or CA and I am trying to determine if we can use it. It's a nice cabinet, very well made and it is to our utility company specs but it is not listed and I always thought it HAD to be listed but I can't find in the code book where it says it "Shall be Listed"

The NEC does not require all equipment/etc... to be listed, labeled or identified.
Article 230 does not require the listing of equipment for services per se.
As has been posted, 230.66 - the first sentence is as close as you will get to seeing this in the NEC.

There will have to be some kind of label in the transfer switch. The label will have wording similar to: "Suitable for use as service equipment"
If the transfer switch does not say that, I believe it is suitable for feeders, but not service installation.

Are you installing the transfer switch on the supply side of the service disconnect or the load side?

Last edited:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I keep falling on 110.3 (B) but what I take that as is if it is listed or labeled it shall be installed per instructions...I don't take that as saying equipment SHALL be listed or labeled..Am I reading that right?

read 110.3(B) and the commontery in the 2008 NEC Handbook:roll:

Hi Chris. I have a couple of questions for you that might help us find the solution.

1) You mention that this cabinet will be located between the utility transformer and the meter. Will it therefore be part of the utility system rather than part of the customer's equipment?

2) Can you tell us a bit more about the application, i.e., what sort of equipment will be installed in the cabinet, who signed off on the system design, and who would have the ability to access it?

Thanks -

Marshall Mauney
General Manager - Maysteel Electric Power Products

Status
Not open for further replies.