200 amp residential service question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwnut

Under ground to meter on a pedestial with a disconect then 4wire 100 feet underground to house enters house 20 ft to panel. Question do I need a disconect on house also?? I don't think so. Am I wrong?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Under ground to meter on a pedestial with a disconect then 4wire 100 feet underground to house enters house 20 ft to panel. Question do I need a disconect on house also?? I don't think so. Am I wrong?
Yes and yes. The pedestal is a structure; the house is a separate structure.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

in the 2008 NEC Read 230.70(A)(1):)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
in the 2008 NEC Read 230.70(A)(1):)
230.70 would be for services, the house is being supplied by a feeder, therefore the applicable section would be 225.31.

Roger

rodneee

i don't have a code book so i can not say if it is an NEC issue...it may or may not be...i think it is a safety issue policy with the POCO...many require it so as in the event of a fire or other emergency the power can be shut off without a problem of locating a remote location meter socket...in the past we have always used a disconnect...plus i do not think the 4wire underground is rated to enter the house unless you pipe it...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
i don't have a code book so i can not say if it is an NEC issue...it may or may not be...
The appropriate code article sections are provided in earlier posts.

i think it is a safety issue policy with the POCO...many require it so as in the event of a fire or other emergency the power can be shut off without a problem of locating a remote location meter socket...
This is now a feeder after it leaves the service disconnect on the pole and is not under the POCO's control.

in the past we have always used a disconnect...
Per the NEC I would assume.

plus i do not think the 4wire underground is rated to enter the house unless you pipe it...
Depends on what type of wiring method is used but it doesn't have to be in conduit.

Roger

rodneee

The appropriate code article sections are provided in earlier posts.

This is now a feeder after it leaves the service disconnect on the pole and is not under the POCO's control.

Per the NEC I would assume.

Depends on what type of wiring method is used but it doesn't have to be in conduit.

Roger

rodger, where were you when i needed you...the power company never said it was a feeder or that it was not under their control.... they just said they were not going to turn on the juice without a disconnect in place....my customer fought them for two month's last year and lost big time and lost lots of $...only 4 or 5 units left now out 56...too late now to tell them they were wrong....maybe the homeowners will sue them if they can prove the big ugly boxes that ruin the look of their homes was not required...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
rodger, where were you when i needed you...the power company never said it was a feeder or that it was not under their control.... they just said they were not going to turn on the juice without a disconnect in place....my customer fought them for two month's last year and lost big time and lost lots of $...only 4 or 5 units left now out 56...too late now to tell them they were wrong....maybe the homeowners will sue them if they can prove the big ugly boxes that ruin the look of their homes was not required...

Before your customer gets to gung ho about suing the POCO read 225.31.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.