How many ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to read through this thread again. Roger I give you a lot of credit for trying to help.
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!................................................................................ ;)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Of course the NEC applies. You misinterpretted my post. If it's smaller than 3/4" then refer to 250.104 for bonding because it's not qualified as an electrode per 250.52(A)5.
No, a 1/2" metal water pipe with 10' in contact with the earth is still a grounding electrode per the definition given in 250.52(A)(1).

Your GEC to a metal water pipe is always going to be sized to Table 250.66, full sized.

jetlag

Around here we have to run #4 to all on up to 200 amp , some people gripe , but I think it still saves a lot of arguments. At least nothing gets flagged for being to small and its a no brainer for the AHJ , which he needs badly :grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:

jetlag

Is it the poco or the ahj that makes you run #4?

Its the poco EMC ,Ga power doesnt require , but to avoid any conflict with AHJ I only buy #4 for all . Thats the same EMC that used to force us to run the #4 up throught the meter and up the mast and out the weather head unbroken . They said it was for lightning. They got taken to court for forcing people to parallel the neutral , and that was the end of that .

Status
Not open for further replies.