panel on stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at a job today where both panels were at the top of the basement stairs.Now I didnt measure the landing but Im almost sure it wasnt 36 inches,and the height is around 6 feet ,but you have the slope from the other staircase right above you ,so its not a flat ceiling,how would the working clearance come into play in this situation?

jetlag

Looked at a job today where both panels were at the top of the basement stairs.Now I didnt measure the landing but Im almost sure it wasnt 36 inches,and the height is around 6 feet ,but you have the slope from the other staircase right above you ,so its not a flat ceiling,how would the working clearance come into play in this situation?

If the landing was to code 36" wide and deep is minimun . The height would be lowest point in a 30" space at panel or in the width of panels .

Jim W in Tampa

if it meets 110.26 it is legal. Nothing says floor must be even. Think about what we have outside, the ground is not always level. Can the breakers pass the 6' 7 " rule from the lowest step that is in the 30 inch wide space. He can start the 30 inches from either side. Not a great location but legal if it meets work space

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Jim, 110.26 does not require the area to be level, however new for the 2008.

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(F) Not Located over Steps.
Overcurrent devices shall not
be located over steps of a stairway.

Now what that means when installing a new breaker in an existing panel only your AHJ can tell you.

jetlag

if it meets 110.26 it is legal. Nothing says floor must be even. Think about what we have outside, the ground is not always level. Can the breakers pass the 6' 7 " rule from the lowest step that is in the 30 inch wide space. He can start the 30 inches from either side. Not a great location but legal if it meets work space

ok so you are saying you can count the stairs as part ot the 30" wide. I made a post about panel on stairs couple of weeks ago and was told that is no longer allowed as of I think 2008 but post might have said 2011 so would that not prohibit from counting the steps in the 30 " wide ?

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
ok so you are saying you can count the stairs as part ot the 30" wide?
I think Jim was talking about the staircase that is over your head, as you stand on this landing and look at the panels. You need 6'7" of headroom for the entire width of 30 inches, and for the entire depth of 36 inches. Post #1 makes it uncertain whether the required headroom is available.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(F) Not Located over Steps. Overcurrent devices shall not
be located over steps of a stairway.
Now what that means when installing a new breaker in an existing panel only your AHJ can tell you.
In this case, I don't think that article applies. The panels are located in the area of the landing, not in the area of the steps.

I have another meeting there Ill snap a picture and post,these are existing panels that we will be changing during a service upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.