Box Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvano1983

Ok so i got a bix with a stud and a hickey and 4 #16 wires from a domed canopy entering the box. What is my total conductor count? 2 or 0? Per NEC I dont need to count those wires and 314.16(B)(3) states "Based on the largest conductor present in the box". So do I count the stud and hickey as a #16 twice or not?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Ok so i got a bix with a stud and a hickey and 4 #16 wires from a domed canopy entering the box. What is my total conductor count? 2 or 0? Per NEC I dont need to count those wires and 314.16(B)(3) states "Based on the largest conductor present in the box". So do I count the stud and hickey as a #16 twice or not?

314.16(B)(3) Support Fittings Fill. Where one or more luminaire studs or hickeys are present in the box, a "single" volume allowance in acordance with
Table 314.16(B) shall be made for each fitting based on the largest conductor present in the box.

So you count the hickey as one and the stud as one.

Read 314.16(B) (1) exception.

Welcome to the forum:)

joebell

Do you have any wires in the box to feed the #16's, I'm assuming the 16's are from the luminaire or am I way off. If you have a hickey and a stud then it is a 2 conductor allowance

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
BV, welcome to the forum! :)

Are there no other conductors entering the box? How is the fixture being powered?

Or, as Seinfeld would say, "Why have a box?"

Status
Not open for further replies.