GFCI recept wired backward

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCES

Does a GFCI recpt still function properly if the line wiring is connected to the load terminals and the load wiring is connected to the line terminals?

jwjrw

The newer GFI receps were changed so they will not work if they are wired backwards. Older ones would still work but would not GFI protect the load conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Its been a while since I've encounter an older style backwired, and I somewhat agree with jwjrw except to add, and I think this is correct, on the older units, the test button will actuate but the receptacle will not turn off.
I recall asking a mfg rep about this and he said that was why the instructions advised to test with a load plugged in.

roger3829

The newer GFI receps were changed so they will not work if they are wired backwards. Older ones would still work but would not GFI protect the load conductors.

The older ones would still work and provide GFCI protection for load connected devices but the receptacle itself would NOT have GFCI protection.

McCES

These are the new devices. Does the backward wiring cause damage to the circuit board, so that if the devices was rewired correctly it would not function properly?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
These are the new devices. Does the backward wiring cause damage to the circuit board, so that if the devices was rewired correctly it would not function properly?

IIRC, they come tripped and won't reset if there is power to the load side. I know people mess up and wire these backward all the time and haven't heard of one getting smoked yet.

But, there's always a first time....

jwjrw

The older ones would still work and provide GFCI protection for load connected devices but the receptacle itself would NOT have GFCI protection.

I knew something wasn't gfi protected when they were wired backwards.:D

jwjrw

IIRC, they come tripped and won't reset if there is power to the load side. I know people mess up and wire these backward all the time and haven't heard of one getting smoked yet.

But, there's always a first time....

One of my helpers HAD a habit of wiring them backwards. Never had it smoke one.:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

No, reversing the line and load will not damage the unit however it will not be able to energize the recep. The older ones would work wired backwards but there was no gfci protection. The newer units will not activate if wired incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.