60 hz transformer operating at 400 hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfowler24

Greetings all,
I have an application where an indicating light which is normally powered from a stepdown transformer (450V primary, 117V secondary, 60 hz) might need to be powered from an alternate source at 400 hz. Is there any reason that the same transformer cannot be used at 400 hz?

I can't seem to find a manufacturer advertising a transformer with the specific ratings I need, but I see quite a few with rated frequencies stated to be "50-400 hz".

From what I've been able to find using google, it seems that it's possible to go up in frequency, just not down. Any truth to this?

I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Regards,

Randy

gar

Occupation
EE
101112-1429 EST

It is a function of Eddy current and hysteresis losses. These increase with frequency. Eddy current loss is reduced by thinner laminations, and/or high resistance of the magnetic material.

If the transformer does not get too hot you should be OK.

Lower frequencies require the input voltage to be reduced to prevent excessive saturation of the core.

rfowler24

Thanks for your response. Probably safer to be conservative and require the end user to use correctly spec'd components anyway.

Cheers!

Randy

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Randy, welcome to the forum! :)

Random thoughts (as if I had any other kind):

You could try running the tranny unloaded first.

What is the transformer's rating, and the load's?

The manufacturer would be the place to ask first.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
A rule of thumb is: you can run a motor or transformer at a higher frequency but not at a lower one.

It all has to do with the flux density of the magnetic ciruit. As the frequency goes up the amount of required core steel goes down. And so, as the frequency goes down, the more core steel is required.

But the jump from 60Hz to 400Hz is quite extreme, and should be verified by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.