unattached residential garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
I was telling someone that in a residential unattached garage Romex cannot be used MC must be used instead. I cannot find the code section on this. Maybe its a local code. Can any one help with the code section?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
334.10(3), if applied literally, would exclude Romex or require a 15 min finsih rating, however, in many areas with which I have knowledge, Romex is allowed......exposed..... to many it seems a bit "silly" if the garage is attached, it's allowed..same structrure, detached, it's not.
Local jurisdiction issue normally,

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was telling someone that in a residential unattached garage Romex cannot be used MC must be used instead. I cannot find the code section on this. Maybe its a local code. Can any one help with the code section?

Look at 334.10 and 334.12

So you can use romex in a residential unattached garage :)

cpal

you can use RX in the detached residential structures in MA , but the NEC requires a 15 min finish rating (2008) so the RX needs to be concealed by a building finish.

The 2011 corrects this problem.

jetlag

334.10(3), if applied literally, would exclude Romex or require a 15 min finsih rating, however, in many areas with which I have knowledge, Romex is allowed......exposed..... to many it seems a bit "silly" if the garage is attached, it's allowed..same structrure, detached, it's not.

Is it possible the code was done in case the unattached might get used for commercial , rented out , or home owned business ? Also it is no longer part of a dwelling .

jetlag

Well it makes sense that romex would not be allowed since around here, at least ,conduit is required even for storage buildings .

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

There is no prohibition on NM/Romex in a detached garage (utility building) as long as it is sheetrocked. The only local issue we have with it (CA.) is below 7' it needs to be covered, over 7' it is fine un-covered. If you have NM run through the open ceiling and drop down to the boxes using one of these with a little EMT and your fine.
View attachment 5160

334.10 Uses Permitted.Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) One- and two-family dwellings.
(2) Multifamily dwellings permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.
(3) Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12. Cables shall be concealed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.

kwired

Electron manager

MC does not have to be used, one could use rigid, IMC, EMT, PVC....

If it is going to be exposed framework I prefer to use raceway systems typically EMT. It is not that much more expensive, may actually install faster in some cases and just looks better in many cases. How long does it take to run 10 feet in a straight line with EMT? How long does it take to drill holes in the same 10 feet especially if you encounter a space where there are extra framing members because of a window or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.