Flir infared camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech

renosteinke

Have you even visited their web site and downloaded / ordered their free book?

Doing so - with either Fluke or FLIR - will most definitely result in a follow-up call from their sales rep. It should be no problem to be able to arrange a trial use of the product - they're that eager for business.

The FLIR rep, in particular, will be of great help. Unlike Fluke, FLIR makes an enormous range of products, focused on a variety of markets. He's sure to be better able to help you to select the best one for your needs.

As for those who have never used one in their careers, well, you're probably not missing all that much. Apart from a quick way to ID loose connections in panels under load, you won't really use them outside of an industrial setting.

It's also worth looking at what Ideal has to offer.

GG

A few times a week? What am I doing wrong, in 22 years I have never used one :confused:
Im also an HVAC contractor and felt it would be useful for checking leaking ducts, among other things in the house. I asked on an HVAC forum but they just keep posting links to the camera in question. I want to hear from someone who actually owns one and how they like it.

GG

I have an I5 and it works as advertised. Easy to start up and use.

Unlike Brianjohn and Zog, I am a low end user. It's a good value for my needs.
What do you use it for on jobs? Also what is the farthest you can be away from someting you are trying to measure? I would like to scan ducts from 30' away if thats possible with the i5.

billsnuff

I can pick upwall wart at 40' (just tried it). I have used it on some panels, as follow-up to last IR survey of the plant I work in. And have replaced panels, because of it. Haven't tried it on forced air or ducts at this point.

While it is a useful tool, it just gives the indication that there may be an issue, it is up to me to follow the proper procedures to complete an investigation and resolve the problem.

I have a panel to change, as i think the buss is getting bad. Same hot spot as in the last IR survey, new breakers were installed. Perhaps someone didn't look close enough, when changing them. Not critical at this point, but deserves another look.

rodneee

I want an infared camera but only have a couple grand to spend on one. Is the Flir i7 any good? http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/content/?id=24072 Sure I would like a Fluke but Im not going to drop 6K + on a tool I will only use a few times a week.

Flir, using the same technology has developed night vision camera units for boaters...low end start at about 8k...i am still a skeptic since i have not tested or seen one...but if they work that would be a great dual purpose tool...

I want an infared camera but only have a couple grand to spend on one. Is the Flir i7 any good? http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/content/?id=24072 Sure I would like a Fluke but Im not going to drop 6K + on a tool I will only use a few times a week.

Most of the infrared cameras are offer waaaay more accuracy and capability than what you need for this type of work and consequently you will pay for things that you don't need to get the answers you're looking for. IMO http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=143
for about $50 is more than sufficient for your needs.

laketime

I must have jinxed myself saying I have never used one. A project I am bidding is calling for an infra red test on all connections within 60 days of substantial completion and again at 11 months past completion. They also require the test to be done under full load and to provide load banks to create a full load condition is one does not exist. Do you guys usually perform those tests yourself or do you hire a testing company?

brian john

Typically we do this for firms, even when they do their own IRS, sometimes in the spec.s, sometimes to avoid the fox watching the hen house syndrome, sometimes they are just too busy.

Ands of course we strongly support their choices.

SAC

Most of the infrared cameras are offer waaaay more accuracy and capability than what you need for this type of work and consequently you will pay for things that you don't need to get the answers you're looking for. IMO http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=143
for about $50 is more than sufficient for your needs.

And if you need more spacial accuracy, they are available in distance to spot ratios of 50:1 - that's about 1" at 4', or 7" at 30'. A bit more $$$ but still much less than a thermal camera. It probably comes down to how much time you may spend taking spot measurements vs. looking at a large area. If you pretty much know where you need to look, the non-contact thermometer may be fine.

charlietuna

I have same camera law enforcement uses on their chopper to look for decaying bodys and use it for electrical scans. And hospitals use it to find tumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.