sub panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeyejs

I have a bid from a contractor. They are replacing a 60amp fuse box and replacing it with a 125 amp subpanel and connecting it to the main panel in a seperate area. They want to use only 100 amp cable though. This doesn't sound right. I need opinions

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As 480 stated there are ways to do this and still be code compliant. There's not enough info in your post to fully answer the question.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have a bid from a contractor. They are replacing a 60amp fuse box and replacing it with a 125 amp subpanel and connecting it to the main panel in a seperate area. They want to use only 100 amp cable though. This doesn't sound right. I need opinions
Hello and welcome.
If you are an Electrical contractor why are you getting bids for work you should be doing.

Are you really an electrical contractor?

jwjrw

My supply house only stocks 125A and up panels so I usually back feed the 125A panel with 100A breaker and install the required tie down kit.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
This is not opinion its is fact. What post 2,3, and 4 said are spot on.

My opinion without the facts is your EC is not doing anything abnormal.

jetlag

As long as the cable is protected with a 100-a fuse or breaker, it's perfectly fine.

Isnt there something in the code about a plug in breaker can not be over 100 amp ? Thats why people like feed the sub panels with 100 amp . I had a 125 plug in square D one time but I believe it went over the buss lugs on the left and right to cover 4 lugs.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isnt there something in the code about a plug in breaker can not be over 100 amp ? Thats why people like feed the sub panels with 100 amp . I had a 125 plug in square D one time but I believe it went over the buss lugs on the left and right to cover 4 lugs.
There is nothing in the NEC that I know about however many panels esp. 200 amp panels will not allow a breaker larger than 125 amps by the manufacture spec.

lakee911

Hello and welcome.
If you are an Electrical contractor why are you getting bids for work you should be doing.

Are you really an electrical contractor?

He said he's a Contractor. He didn't say he was an Electrical Contractor. I think the mods would allow it...

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
At least he said "contractor" not "handyman". I'd much rather a customer second guess a safe install then a not question a hazardous install. Plus you have to give him points for knowing how to squeeze by.

buckeyejs

I am just out of school, and still learning the ropes. Give me credit for asking the question, even if it is a stupid one. I knew the answer but was second guessing myself. So I needed opinions. And the bid was for a job at my church. They got a bid from somebody else and asked me too take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.