sizing a shell space - w/sf

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

I am designing a development project where I am able to calculate (per NEC) all of the building loads to a tee - except for two retail spaces. The function of the spaces is known (one an 8500 SF restaurant, the other a 3000 SF cigar store), but no part of their HVAC or electrical systems will be designed until well after the service equipment is installed.

I want to be conservative, but not TOO conservative. Give them a reasonably-sized panel that their engineer can work with. My gut (working off very little experience) says 30 w/sf for the restaurant and 25 w/sf for the cigar store (humidors, plus smoking allowed with ventilation required to exhaust up 7 stories to roof). At 208V that would be an 800A service for the restaurant and 200A for the cigars. Is that overkill? If you were selected as the fit-out designer of the spaces would you find it to be sufficient?

If the load goes up any more I'm going to need a second utility transformer - right now trying to fit it all on one. I think I'm good but any thoughts are appreciated.

DavidA

That doesn't sound like overkill to me though I am lacking experience in those types of calculations. But by the time you figure in all the walk-in freezers and refrigerators, the various steam tables and reach in coolers for the line, an assortment of other standing coolers/freezers, prep equipment like standing mixers, the hood systems and make up air, HVAC for the whole place and an insane lighting designer for the front of house. All that can add up wattage pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.