210.52(a)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPorter

This section requires a outlet isntalled so that there is no more than 6ft of wall space to any receptacle in dwelling units. I don't see any similar requirements in other than dwelling units. Is there a rule for commericial buildings or is it up to the electrical engineer designing the space?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the enigineer and the owner/occupant.
Only required outlet would be 210.63 and 600.5 where applicable.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
This section requires a outlet isntalled so that there is no more than 6ft of wall space to any receptacle in dwelling units. I don't see any similar requirements in other than dwelling units. Is there a rule for commericial buildings or is it up to the electrical engineer designing the space?

Guys jump in.

IMHO the 6' rule was to keep people (residential) from using extention cords. ?????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I've always heard that, apparently a more exact statement might be "use cords in residential settings" :)

CPorter

Not using extension cords makes sense as a reason for the rule however commercial buildings are just as bad or even worse than homes when it comes to extension cords so I am surprised there is no similar rule for commercial offices buildings. The Fire Marshall is always looking for multiple plugstrips and finding them even though we cleaned them out earlier that week.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not using extension cords makes sense as a reason for the rule however commercial buildings are just as bad or even worse than homes when it comes to extension cords so I am surprised there is no similar rule for commercial offices buildings. The Fire Marshall is always looking for multiple plugstrips and finding them even though we cleaned them out earlier that week.

Often times there are not enough outlets in offices in commercial buildings. Unfortunately the NEC does not require many and it is a design issue not a code issue.

shockin

I sort of think the 12' spacing and the 6' cord is just a coinsidence. The reason I say this is you are allowed to place the oulets at 5' above the floor. If you do this and space the outlets at 12' then you don't really have too many options to place the lamp.

rodneee

Often times there are not enough outlets in offices in commercial buildings. Unfortunately the NEC does not require many and it is a design issue not a code issue.

we did a tenant fit out for 1 story storefront style insurance office...it was basic...lobby,hallways,conference room, 2 bathrooms,utility room,and 9 small offices...each office was supposed to get 1 switch, 3 2X4 layins, 5 outlets, 1 phone, 1 tv per plan...the tenant (who was the one paying) was only going to be using 4 of the 9 offices at the time...the other 5 were for his anticipated growth...in those he wanted no electric at all and me to give him a credit for the rooms not wired...i bet him lunch that it would never pass inspection...i figured we might get away with no outlets but it certainly would require at least one light...i lost the bet after he put locks on each unused office making the unused offices "dead space" in the eyes of both the electrical and the building inspector...i still thought that was odd...

renosteinke

This is one time where we need to step back and look at the NEC as a whole.

Sure, it might seem silly to limit the receptacle spacing rule to only residential locations, but keep in mind that there are many instances where the NEC makes this distinction.

In residences you can have any number of receptacles on a circuit; everywhere else load calculations kick in. Most circuits are sized according to their loads - but not the residential 'convenience outlet' circuits.

In residences you are not allowed to have 277v. lighting; everywhere else you can.

It is assumed that commercial occupancies will have a better level of planning, and that the maintenance crew will be better trained. Homes, by contrast, are seen as 'one size fits all.'

Status
Not open for further replies.