ohms question

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No. Neither is. Capacitive reactance and inductive reactance are both measured in ohms. Now, as a "homework assignment," you tell us the units of measure for capacitance and inductance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You got it right. I will add, just for the sake of confusion, that a "farad" is a really, really big number. I don't know if a "one farad capacitor" would be able to fit inside your garage (OK, I am exaggerating a bit there). So if you are talking about things used to build radios and such things, you generally see them on sale in units of micro (as in ?one millionth of a) farad, or even micro-micro farads. The same is true with henrys, in that you generally see them as milli-henrys. I don?t happen to know how large the capacitors get, when they are used for power factor correction of transmission systems. Perhaps someone else can toss in that detail.

dereckbc

Staff member
I don't know if a "one farad capacitor" would be able to fit inside your garage (OK, I am exaggerating a bit there).
Well actually you can buy a 4000 F super capacitor, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Ultra and Super Caps are used in Electric Vehicles to buffer the batteries from regenerative braking and high energy impulse weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.