failed inspection on a existing wiring on a kitchen countertop

Status
Not open for further replies.

raza246

I was asked to swap out all the kitchen counter plugs on a kitchen remodel, they are not spaced correctly according to the nec. The cabinets and countertops were swaped out for new ones and the kitchen has the same layout as it did before it was remodeled. NO sheetrock was removed. When i had my inspection the inspector said that I had to bring the counter up to current nec code regulations, (2) small appliance circuits and have the plugs spaced correctly. I have always been under the impression that existing wiring doesnt have to meet current code standards unless the walls come down. Is there a code about existing electrical work anywhere in the code I cant find it if there is. thanks

iwire

Staff member
Being a moderator allows me to know you live in MA, that being the case I would remind the inspector of the MA rules, specifically Rule 3.

Rule3-4.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

I was asked to swap out all the kitchen counter plugs on a kitchen remodel, they are not spaced correctly according to the nec. The cabinets and countertops were swaped out for new ones and the kitchen has the same layout as it did before it was remodeled. NO sheetrock was removed. When i had my inspection the inspector said that I had to bring the counter up to current nec code regulations, (2) small appliance circuits and have the plugs spaced correctly. I have always been under the impression that existing wiring doesnt have to meet current code standards unless the walls come down. Is there a code about existing electrical work anywhere in the code I cant find it if there is. thanks

I would call what you did a repair and your fine as long as it was to code at time it was installed. Now the hard part is to get the inspector to view it this way. Start with him on a friendly way and let him know you changed nothing just simply installed new devices. If that does not work then go to chief electrical inspector.

iwire

Staff member
It is like the first or second page of the MA amendments in the front of the NEC. (Assuming you have the MA addition NEC).

jwjrw

Where I am if you pull the cabinets you must bring the kitchen up to current code. If just counter tops are done you do not. Same in a bathroom also. And if you get a building permit as well as an electrical permit you must update your smoke detectors.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
What was the permit for, around here (CA) you don't need a permit for cabinets or counter tops. Ask him who should pay for the additional work that HE wants and is not required or requested.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This is a perfect example of why people don't always pull permits. Here you pull a permit for a straight forward job, you do that job, then the inspector goes outside the code and ask's for something out of line. Nice.

raza246

What part don't you agree on ? Do you not call replacement of devices a repair ? What do you call it ?

He wants me to bring the countertop up to current nec code includung 2 small appliance circuits and spacing the receptacles to the 2008 code whitch involves running new circuits back to the panel and snaking wires basicly a days labor. this same inspector also told me a couple months ago that i could not splice to extend a branch circuit wire in a panel on a panel change but i showed him article 312.8 and he had to let it pass even though he didnt want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.