Kasc

Status
Not open for further replies.
kasc

kasc

Charlie,
I guess I worded the question wrong. I know what it means, but I am trying to find where this would be used in lieu of kaic. My way of thinking is that kaic would be for breakers or fuses and kasc would be for the equipment. I am just trying to clarify specification issue between a Engineering firm, a manufacturer and the contractor. I have not seen kasc used alot in electrical specification or on drawings, in this area.
Thanks

raider1

Staff member
Charlie,
I guess I worded the question wrong. I know what it means, but I am trying to find where this would be used in lieu of kaic. My way of thinking is that kaic would be for breakers or fuses and kasc would be for the equipment. I am just trying to clarify specification issue between a Engineering firm, a manufacturer and the contractor. I have not seen kasc used alot in electrical specification or on drawings, in this area.
Thanks

I don't see Kasc on equipment or drawing but I do see SCCR or Short Circuit Current Rating marked on equipment or drawings.

Chris

ron

I agree that AIC (amp interrupting capacity) ratings are for devices that must interrupt current and in my opinion, the equipment they are mounted. For example if a panelboard is specified as 42kAIC, that means the lowest rating for the breakers are 42kAIC and the bus bracing within the panelboard is rated for a withstand of 42kA.
Other equipment would have short circuit ratings or withstand ratings, such as disconnects, transfer switches, cables, busway, etc.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I agree that AIC (amp interrupting capacity) ratings are for devices that must interrupt current and in my opinion, the equipment they are mounted. For example if a panelboard is specified as 42kAIC, that means the lowest rating for the breakers are 42kAIC and the bus bracing within the panelboard is rated for a withstand of 42kA.
Other equipment would have short circuit ratings or withstand ratings, such as disconnects, transfer switches, cables, busway, etc.

AIC is for protective devices only. AIC absolutely does not apply to equipment. KAIC is technically improper, the k actually goes with the number, but widely understood.

There is no universally accepted cute abbreviation for the rating of equipment. The common terms include:
SCCR; Short Circuit Current Rating - probably the front runner, today.
Withstand Rating - a term from ANSI switchgear, it is also used with power breakers and Medium voltage equipment
Bus Bracing - a term from the early days of UL requirements (early - mid '80's) for 600V switchboards and motor control centers.
IER; integrated equipment rating - a catchall term combining bus bracing and device AIC.

In the 70's and 80's it was common to see specifications requiring panelboard, switchboard, and MCC bracing greater than the devices mounted in the panel (i.e. 65kA bracing with 30kAIC breakers). The thought was; blown up breakers could be replaced easier than blown up bussing.

I have never seen the term kASC

zog

AIC is for protective devices only. AIC absolutely does not apply to equipment. KAIC is technically improper, the k actually goes with the number, but widely understood.
Drives me nuts too

There is no universally accepted cute abbreviation for the rating of equipment. The common terms include:
SCCR; Short Circuit Current Rating - probably the front runner, today.
Withstand Rating - a term from ANSI switchgear, it is also used with power breakers and Medium voltage equipment
Bus Bracing - a term from the early days of UL requirements (early - mid '80's) for 600V switchboards and motor control centers.
IER; integrated equipment rating - a catchall term combining bus bracing and device AIC.
nice summary

In the 70's and 80's it was common to see specifications requiring panelboard, switchboard, and MCC bracing greater than the devices mounted in the panel (i.e. 65kA bracing with 30kAIC breakers). The thought was; blown up breakers could be replaced easier than blown up bussing.
I am totally agree with that line of thinking :)

I have never seen the term kASC
Me either, I thought maybe this was an IEC term?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Just came to me, did the OP mean kSCA?

SCA = Short Circuit Amps or Short Circuit, Available (another non-specific term)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just came to me, did the OP mean kSCA?

SCA = Short Circuit Amps or Short Circuit, Available (another non-specific term)

I was thinking along those lines too. Recently, maybe because of Article 409, I have been seeing AFC (Available Fault Current) now listed on one-line drawings, with the current listed in kA, for example "AFC = 43.5kA" but I'm not really sure that is a universally accepted acronym yet either.

More in this thread...

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I was thinking along those lines too. Recently, maybe because of Article 409, I have been seeing AFC (Available Fault Current) now listed on one-line drawings, with the current listed in kA, for example "AFC = 43.5kA" but I'm not really sure that is a universally accepted acronym yet either.
First I have heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.