first "real" job for my little company

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolthead

I got the go ahead for a little job in my hometown. Of course, as soon as I step in the building I notice the panel has no main breaker. The main is outside about 30 feet away. The building has been used for storage for 6 years and has had no power. Since this is an existing structure and the only thing being added is two bathrooms, does the NEC require me to change the panel in order to get a main inside the building. The building is a former indoor boat showroom being converted into a gym. 90% of the office spaces are being demo'ed leaving only a front desk and owners office. The panel is oversized for what is needed but it would be cheaper for my customer(friend/trainer) to keep what is there.

Also,the main outside has had a building built about 24" from the front of the main. Code violation. Will this Grandfather in? I have never dealt with either of these issues. Anyone else? I am trying to get a cost estimate and I cant get one until I feel confident on these two issues.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I got the go ahead for a little job in my hometown. Of course, as soon as I step in the building I notice the panel has no main breaker. The main is outside about 30 feet away. The building has been used for storage for 6 years and has had no power. Since this is an existing structure and the only thing being added is two bathrooms, does the NEC require me to change the panel in order to get a main inside the building.
Why would you think this is a problem?
Also,the main outside has had a building built about 24" from the front of the main. Code violation. Will this Grandfather in? I have never dealt with either of these issues. Anyone else? I am trying to get a cost estimate and I cant get one until I feel confident on these two issues.
This would be a local permitting issue.

Roger

bolthead

It's not that I think it is a problem, it is that I have not seen this before. I have seen panels with no main but only as a sub panel. I am trying to avoid a problem.

Maybe Im over thinking this a little!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's not that I think it is a problem, it is that I have not seen this before. I have seen panels with no main but only as a sub panel. I am trying to avoid a problem.

Maybe Im over thinking this a little!

Ok, let's look at what you have. You have a service with a Main located 30' from the building, so the panel you are feeding from this main is a sub fed panel which would not need a main breaker in it BUT, now we have to consider 225.32. This could mean you may need an exterior disconnecting means on the building or a main in the panel itself but there is no NEC requirement for the panel to have a main breaker just because it is located inside the building.

Roger

growler

The building has been used for storage for 6 years and has had no power.

Also,the main outside has had a building built about 24" from the front of the main. Code violation. Will this Grandfather in? I have never dealt with either of these issues. Anyone else?

If the power is off I would try to get power truned on first off.

It's always easier to deal with the authorities on a building that's up and running rather than one that been sitting vacant (no power ).

Little advice. Only give your friend a price based on the scope of work he is telling you about, give a specific scope of work in the contract and make sure everything else is extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.