Table 310.15(B)(6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Table 310.15(B)(6) states 120/240 volt. Does this Table also apply to 120/208volt 3-wire Single Phase Dwelling Service? Utility Companies are supplying this type of service to family dwellings from a 3 Phase 4-wire system. I have found this in new housing developments.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Table 310.15(B)(6) states 120/240 volt. Does this Table also apply to 120/208volt 3-wire Single Phase Dwelling Service? Utility Companies are supplying this type of service to family dwellings from a 3 Phase 4-wire system. I have found this in new housing developments.

The NEC states clearly 120/240 so I would say you cannot use this table with 120/208

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis, Table 310.15(B)(6) can't be used for the ampacity of a 3 wire 208/120 volt feeder to a dwelling unit.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Dennis, Table 310.15(B)(6) can't be used for the ampacity of a . . . .
I also agree. But to that I will add that I think that table cannot be used for the ampacity of anything at all. The word "ampacity" does not appear anywhere in the table or in the text that refers to it. But that is somewhat off topic, so I won't pursue the argument here. ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also agree. But to that I will add that I think that table cannot be used for the ampacity of anything at all. The word "ampacity" does not appear anywhere in the table or in the text that refers to it. But that is somewhat off topic, so I won't pursue the argument here. ;)

So are you saying that since the word "amperes" is in the table but not the word "ampacity" that the Table is no good. :confused:

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
So are you saying that since the word "amperes" is in the table but not the word "ampacity" that the Table is no good. :confused:

Dennis, Charlie didn't say that the table was "no good." He only said that the table is not used to determine "ampacity" of a conductor size.

A #4 Cu conductor in would still have an ampacity of 85, but T310.15(B)(6) would "permit" that conductor to be used on a 100A, 120/240 Single phase dwelling service.

Think of it the same was that 240.4(B) "permits" the next higher standard OCPD. By 240.4(B), you could protect a 500mcm cu conductor with a 400A OCPD. But the ampacity of the conductor is still 380, not 400.

raider1

Staff member

Good point Charlie.:)

Chris

jumper

Dennis, Charlie didn't say that the table was "no good." He only said that the table is not used to determine "ampacity" of a conductor size.

A #4 Cu conductor in would still have an ampacity of 85, but T310.15(B)(6) would "permit" that conductor to be used on a 100A, 120/240 Single phase dwelling service.

Think of it the same was that 240.4(B) "permits" the next higher standard OCPD. By 240.4(B), you could protect a 500mcm cu conductor with a 400A OCPD. But the ampacity of the conductor is still 380, not 400.

This is what I was thinking also.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
That is how I see it. I also believe that this table does not declare that the ampacity of a #4 is 100 amps, under the specific "conditions of use" to which the table applies. Furthermore, it does not declare that a pair of #4 in parallel can be used for a 200 amp service, nor that the ampacity of a pair of #4 would be 200 amps.

jumper

That is how I see it. I also believe that this table does not declare that the ampacity of a #4 is 100 amps, under the specific "conditions of use" to which the table applies. Furthermore, it does not declare that a pair of #4 in parallel can be used for a 200 amp service, nor that the ampacity of a pair of #4 would be 200 amps.

I agree, it is a specific chart for resi apps, not a substitute for 310.16 calcs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code making panel does not agree. This is the panel statement from comment 6-32 for the 1995 code cycle.
PANEL STATEMENT: The service or feeder ratings in the tabular portion of Note 3 are permissible current ratings for the wire sizes indicated, similar to the allowable ampacities permitted in Table 310-16 through Table 310-19. ...
Note 3 in the 1995 code is the rule that is 310.15(B)(6) in the 2008 code.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
The code making panel does not agree. This is the panel statement from comment 6-32 for the 1995 code cycle.
If they think the numbers are ampacities, then they should revise the code itself to say that, for as written it does not. Panel statements are neither enforceable by an AHJ nor usable by an EC.

I submitted a proposal for 2011, hoping to clarify that the numbers were not ampacities, and that parallel conductors cannot be based on the sizes shown in the table. In their ROP they disagreed that the numbers are not ampacities. I then submitted a comment in response to that item in the ROP, stating that they should then revise the table to include the word "ampacities" in some appropriate context. I have not read the related ROC, nor have I seen the final version of the 2011 article. So I don't know what they did with my comment.

raider1

Staff member
Here is the ROC Charlie.

6-60 Log #2234 NEC-P06 Final Action: Reject
(310.15(B)(6), FPN )
310.15(B)(6):
FPN: The ?Service or Feeder Ratings? shown in the above table shall be
permitted to be considered the ampacities of the associated conductors only for
the specific conditions of use that are addressed in this article.
Substantiation: The ?Panel Statement? describing the reason for rejecting
this proposal describes the values in the table with the following words, ?The
conductor ampacities listed in 310.15(B)(6)...?. But nothing in the table itself,
and nothing in the text that refers to the table, includes the word ?ampacities.?
All the table presently permits is certain conductors to be used for certain
service or feeder ratings. That is not the same thing. If the CMP wishes to
permit the table to be used as an ampacity table, then the fact should be stated
in the table itself, or in the article that refers to the table.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The Rule Governing Committee projects does not permit
mandatory language in Informational Notes (FPN). See the panel action and
statement on Comment 6-55.
Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11
Comment on Affirmative:
PICARD, P.: See comment on Comment 6-55.

Chris

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
table 310.15(B)(6)

table 310.15(B)(6)

I believe this is not allowed for 120/208 single phase service because the neutral carries full current when tapped from a 120/208 3 phase network.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
.... Panel statements are neither enforceable by an AHJ nor usable by an EC.
As far as I am concerned, there is only one thing that trumps a panel statement...that would be a Formal Interpretation. They are often used by both AHJs and ECs to support their interpretation of a code rule.

In the rare event that a dispute over the meaning of a code rule would ever reach the courts, the courts would use the panel statements in the ROPs and ROCs just like they now use the "legislative" history of a civil or criminal law to help them come to a decision on what a law means. The ROPs and ROCs are the legislative history of the code rules.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
As far as I am concerned, there is only one thing that trumps a panel statement...that would be a Formal Interpretation. They are often used by both AHJs and ECs to support their interpretation of a code rule.

I don't think there is room for interpretation here.

The words in 310.15(B)(6) and Table 310.15(B)(6) do not support using that table for any service size not listed in the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.