406.4 (d)(4) 2011/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

This is one of the topics that was discussed in a 2011 NEC Changes class I took a few weeks ago and I brought it up during our monthly local contractor's association meeting tonight. As was explained in class, beginning in 2014 cycle, if you change a receptacle device, that circuit must be brought up to code using any of the proposed methods below, meaning some means of AFCI protection must now be installed. Is that the correct assessment? Some were in disagreement this evening. It is how I read it. How about you?

Some said it only applied to receptacles that were already required to have AFCI, not to 10+ year old circuits that were not required at the time, enabling a swap out. It seems to me that if it was already on a required AFCI circuit than this section would be redundant.

406.4 (D)
(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a
receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires
arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified
elsewhere in this Code
, a replacement receptacle at this
outlet shall be one of the following:
(1) A listed outlet branch circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter
receptacle
(2) A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch circuit
type arc-fault circuit interrupter type receptacle
(3) A receptacle protected by a listed combination type
arc-fault circuit interrupter type circuit breaker
This requirement becomes effective January 1, 2014.

(I highlighted in blue what I think to be the key phrase.)

I would take it to mean effective 1-4-14 you would use 210.12 as your reference wether or not to install afc protection. depending on your work. for example you wouldnt install the protection on a bathroom recep circuit because 210.12 doesnt require it. but you would need g.f.i protection. 406.4D3

just as a side note. if the dwelling doesnt contain a e.g.c in the cable the arc fault protection wouldnt really do much. so if you were changing a bedroon circuit in a real old home its kinda pointless to put an arc fault breaker in. or recep.

cadpoint

360:

The NC Board still has a say in what technically will be adopted!

I'm sure this one little aspect will be worked over with heavy comments by the parties that are into these things...

360Youth

360:

The NC Board still has a say in what technically will be adopted!

I'm sure this one little aspect will be worked over with heavy comments by the parties that are into these things...

True. Lots of time between now and 2014. Just curious in wording interpretations.

raider1

Staff member
As was explained in class, beginning in 2014 cycle, if you change a receptacle device, that circuit must be brought up to code using any of the proposed methods below, meaning some means of AFCI protection must now be installed. Is that the correct assessment?

Basically what this section is requiring is that after January 2014 if you are going to replace a receptacle in an area that is required to have AFCI protection in accordance with 210.12 then the receptacle must be an AFCI receptacle OR you can install an AFCI breaker to protect the entire circuit.

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Some said it only applied to receptacles that were already required to have AFCI, not to 10+ year old circuits that were not required at the time, . . .
2011 NEC 406.4 (D)
. . . Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault circuit interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, . . .
Interesting question on the turn of phrase. I think there are at least two meanings, as written, and one is as you describe it and the other is that the Code only requires AFCI from the beginning time of local jurisdiction adoption of the requirement.

How your local jurisdiction handles changing out an existing receptacle, say, at the kitchen sink, when the existing receptacle is a two wire non-grounding type, will give a good indication of how your local AHJ will interpret this 2011 NEC 406.4(D).

Status
Not open for further replies.