Addressable fire alarm systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I am looking for feedback on a new addressable system, pro's and con's. We are in the process of a new install to replace an antiquated system.

Thanks

nhfire77

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I am looking for feedback on a new addressable system, pro's and con's. We are in the process of a new install to replace an antiquated system.

Thanks

Could you be a bit more specific? You are not giving enough info for us to go on. What is the size of the system? Is it in EMT? Cable Only? Is it a standard fire alarm, or with Voice Evac?

I could go on but I will say this:

PROS: Better than conventional in every way except cost. But the labor savings on a retrofit makes addressable more affordable when bringing it up to code.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
I am looking for recomendations for system mfg. ie Simplex, Notifier, EST etc. this will be a completely new install with old system being removed once the new one is tested.

dhalleron

If you go with a proprietary system like those you mentioned, you (or the customer) are stuck with service and equipment from that vendor only. If you need to add a new addressable smoke detector to a Simplex system for example, a Simplex tech will have to come in, empty your wallet and then program the panel. Many customers I have talked to do not like those types of systems because they have to wait on a tech or they have to pay the high costs of service. It?s kind of like a monopoly the electric company has. You pay their price because you have no option.

Going with a brand that is available through normal distribution is sometimes better. Firelite and Silent Knight are good examples. You can buy the parts from more than one distributor and you might even be able to get the training and software to program it yourself. Many mom and pop fire alarm companies can easily service these panels as opposed to not being able to give full service on a Simplex panel.

Firelite and Silent Knight systems are normally limited to smaller buildings. Many larger buildings will require the capabilities of a larger proprietary system.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
Absoulute truth about Simplex this is a 4 story bldg. about 260K SQ.FT. no voice evacuation, I didn't realise that Silent Knight and Firelite made control cabinets.

nhfire77

I agree, do not use Siemens or Notifier or Simplex. Those are a complete waste of money for a four story building (IMO)

As long as you don't need more than 512 (i know there is the system protocol, but its not my choice) initiating devices, get a silent knight 5820XL. (firelite is fine, but I don't personally find it user friendly)

Better yet look for a silent knight dealer which is called an Engineered Systems distributor.(ESD) Typically they will work with you, supplying the panel and devices and you and your team installing. They will do the programming as well, are not as expensive and you can changes ESD's. Allowing you to deal with the same product, different dealer. They can do many more initiating devices than 512. Your size building does not require a propriatary system.

Please plan plan plan.

Oh and sell nonPOTS communications. Analog Phone lines are going away eventually. There is a primary cell only communicator (DSC GS-305ICF). And also primary Internet communicator (firelite IP-DACT). There is also AES radios, but not everywhere.

Last edited:

junjun

better use GE vigilon series. it is addressable fire alarm system and you can program through panel..

Status
Not open for further replies.