Beam clamps as fuse clip clamps??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw

Is it just me or is this just plain wrong? This picture was in the latest issue of "Electrical Apparatus" magazine, shown as an acceptable way of securing fuse clips.

Cavie

Is it just me or is this just plain wrong? This picture was in the latest issue of "Electrical Apparatus" magazine, shown as an acceptable way of securing fuse clips.

It would seem to work very well. A PITA to change and I'm sure you will find an inspector say "Not listed for...."

iwire

Staff member

Ugly, untested, unlisted, but very likely safe and effective.

480sparky

You all must have super vision. Even with a magnifying glass the pic is too small for me to make out the beam clamps.

You're not the only one, sonny!

Magnify.gif

Cavie

You all must have super vision. Even with a magnifying glass the pic is too small for me to make out the beam clamps.

You would not see them if you were not told what to look for. My guess is there would also be dissimilar metals issues.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Cooper Bussman sells clamps for this purpose.
I know of no one that sells clamps to 'improve' the quality of the fuse clip connection.

The 'official' clamps are marketed for use in locations with high vibrations.
So if they are going to be misused to 'improve' a connection, then why not misuse a different product instead?

millelec

We just had clips, no clamps, because we often had to pull them while energized to do PM's.

exactly, zog. our fuses were held in w/the phenolic handled screw compression clips. nomenclature is a pain :) then there was making sure you didn't pull fuses on the running unit. memorable moments! SSN-585 & SSN-712 here, btw.

zog

exactly, zog. our fuses were held in w/the phenolic handled screw compression clips. nomenclature is a pain :) then there was making sure you didn't pull fuses on the running unit. memorable moments! SSN-585 & SSN-712 here, btw.

Oh yeah, OSHA would not have been pleased, but then again, not much of a choice, pull energized fuse or shut down enitre panel resulting in a reactor scram, hoping the EPM works so you do not plummet to an imploding death :) SSN-701.

USMC1302

zog:
Rode on the Permit SSN 594, she was old already then, but my favorite was Iowa BB-61. Met some sharp techs and interesting bubble heads, but always glad to hit the beach with the green machine. Trying to explain to a Lt why his 50 cap blasting machine wouldn't get the job done with an extra 1000' of comm wire spliced in was about the only time electrical training was used....

Status
Not open for further replies.