Pull string in PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpk

What do you guys/gals use for a pull string in pvc pipe. I have run into this on our last 2 jobs where we have sucked in a greenlee string or mule tape (the rope thats flat and light weight) and we cant even pull in a larger rope with it. I think the string is cutting into the pipe around bends. We finally ended up sucking a #12 thru and that worked well, except a little expensive. Does any one have reccomendations?

growler

on our last 2 jobs where we have sucked in a greenlee string or mule tape (the rope thats flat and light weight) and we cant even pull in a larger rope with it.

What size is the PVC conduit and how big is the rope you are trying to pull in???

I have really never had a problem. Getting a 1" rope in a 1/2" conduit might be a bit difficult. :grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never had a problem with this product.

ry%3D400

jwjrw

I buy the 5 gallon buckets of Ideal or Greenlee brand and have never had an issue with either one other than the time I glued the wire in a coupling. :grin:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
greenlee poly line works for us.

may be time to rethink some of your pipe runs if you're having that much trouble.

leave a small loop of string attached to the wire, or a small loop in the wire, and if it breaks, you can run a fish tape down and catch the loop to finish the pull.

JES2727

On long runs with 360 degrees of bends I have had to use the green poly line to pull in a 1/4 nylon rope and then used that to pull in the 3/4 pulling rope.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We use a flat fiber pulling tape frequently. Never a problem other than the glue business and you only do that once. How big a rope you trying to pull? How many 90s? I know it will cut the TA & Bushing if you don't pull straight out.

First time, I used electric fence wire. 1/4 mile of it. POCO was really impressed with it. A real mess to dispose of but it was cheap and very strong.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I just did an 800' pull using mule tape with no problems. Are you feeding the mule tape in flat or is it twisted up? Poly string is deadly on long pulls, you'll definitely want rigid 90's on the ends or you'll burn through for sure.

What size and length of pipe runs are you having trouble with? How many bends?

sparky=t

I just did an 800' pull using mule tape with no problems. Are you feeding the mule tape in flat or is it twisted up? Poly string is deadly on long pulls, you'll definitely want rigid 90's on the ends or you'll burn through for sure.

Words of wisdom!, even on under slab work I use rigid bends, why risk it?:roll:

ohmhead

Pull string

Pull string

What do you guys/gals use for a pull string in pvc pipe. I have run into this on our last 2 jobs where we have sucked in a greenlee string or mule tape (the rope thats flat and light weight) and we cant even pull in a larger rope with it. I think the string is cutting into the pipe around bends. We finally ended up sucking a #12 thru and that worked well, except a little expensive. Does any one have reccomendations?

My crew only does power distribution everyday every year we use rigid 90,s on one side and pull on one side .

If the run is less than 300 feet we use PVC 90,s on both ends unless the spec call out rigid thur slab .

Polyline is ok if ! use a vacuum to install it and use a 1/4 inch rope to pull your bigger rope in never used polyline alone on any big rope your going to break the polyline or damage the PVC 90 !

Rule one used a 1/4 rope to pull the big rope in !

We dont use mule tape its much too expensive and a waste of money .

The cost of mule tape for our company would break us as we run lots of feeders on each project .

Tip for ya if you have a long run and the polyline is hard to pull pull it back out but then tie on two install two polylines it works every time pulls easy meaning to pull in a rope thats tuff to pull.

Use two polyline strings it doesnt cut your pvc 90 but only when its tuff to pull not every pipe .

Dont used the small measuring tape and never leave this 1/4 wide measuring tape in pvc it sticks and breaks .

If you use 1/4 wide measuring tape install it with the polyline it will not stick in the pipe but its a waste of time IMO!

We use a special tool to measure conduits which i cant talk about on this forum because they think iam advertising but iam just a poor electrician who makes tools for the trade on the side and work as a electrcian each day .

But ill say this iam the one to ask about installing a string in a pipe thats what i do everyday and on my time off work also its kinda a thing i do for fun!!

Finite10

On long, high runs of intermediate size pipe, like 1 1/4", I'm finally learning to run twine as I run pipe. But only after wasting plenty of time trying to snag 200' fishtapes from either end first.

At least PVC is more airtight than setscrew couplings. For PVC I carry a roll of cheap 1/4" nylon rope, then pull in the tugger rope for larger cable.

ohmhead

On long, high runs of intermediate size pipe, like 1 1/4", I'm finally learning to run twine as I run pipe. But only after wasting plenty of time trying to snag 200' fishtapes from either end first.

At least PVC is more airtight than setscrew couplings. For PVC I carry a roll of cheap 1/4" nylon rope, then pull in the tugger rope for larger cable.

Why dont you just use a vacumm why use a fish tape thats a waste of time

masterinbama

As for measuring polyline I take the line fold it back and forth until I can measure it with a 25' tape and multiply by the number of folds. If the measurement is not critical as in just being sure you have enough on a reel, I wind the poyline from elbow to thumb and call each wrap 2'.

ohmhead

As for measuring polyline I take the line fold it back and forth until I can measure it with a 25' tape and multiply by the number of folds. If the measurement is not critical as in just being sure you have enough on a reel, I wind the poyline from elbow to thumb and call each wrap 2'.

I got a better way to measure polyline !

Sam Moore

[QUOTE

Words of wisdom!, even on under slab work I use rigid bends, why risk it?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I agree totally, its like having insurance makes me feel better!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.