NEC - Electrical compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an article in the NEC the requires replacement of existing electrical systems be brought into compliance with NEC? I've searched but just can't find a general requirement. I can reference particular articles but I am looking more for a general article the covers all electrical work.

pfalcon

You are most likely under different rules if this is being done by the Navy.

Specific to your post by way of example:

Compliance to the NEC:2008 with exceptions is required by Indiana under Indiana Administrative Code (IAC) 675-IAC-17 rule 1.8; Otherwise there would be no NEC issue in Indiana.

Requirement to upgrade existing work to current code exists only under local (i.e. County) codes. Here I believe the rules are as follows:

(A) When up to 40% of the existing work is being replaced then only the new work must be compliant with current code.

(B) When 40% or more of the existing work is being replaced then all the existing work must be compliant with current code.

(C) When minor repairs are being performed, such as replacing an outlet, then like may be replaced with like components.

All the above A,B,C subject to interpretation by the AHJ.

Welcome to New Jersey

Welcome to New Jersey

You are most likely under different rules if this is being done by the Navy.

Specific to your post by way of example:

Compliance to the NEC:2008 with exceptions is required by Indiana under Indiana Administrative Code (IAC) 675-IAC-17 rule 1.8; Otherwise there would be no NEC issue in Indiana.

Requirement to upgrade existing work to current code exists only under local (i.e. County) codes. Here I believe the rules are as follows:

(A) When up to 40% of the existing work is being replaced then only the new work must be compliant with current code.

(B) When 40% or more of the existing work is being replaced then all the existing work must be compliant with current code.

(C) When minor repairs are being performed, such as replacing an outlet, then like may be replaced with like components.

All the above A,B,C subject to interpretation by the AHJ.

In similar fashion here in New Jersey we have in our Uniform Construction Code, 5:17 Chapter 6 we is generally referred to as "The Rehabilitation" subcode. Depending on the degree of the re-construction you may be allowed to keep many existing systems in place, as is... it's very specific and covers most all situations we find ourselves in when working in any existing building(s). The idea of a "Rehab" code has been mimic'd in other states, would be nice someone's "Rehab" code become the standard.....ah wishful

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
In similar fashion here in New Jersey we have in our Uniform Construction Code, 5:17 Chapter 6 we is generally referred to as "The Rehabilitation" subcode. Depending on the degree of the re-construction you may be allowed to keep many existing systems in place, as is... it's very specific and covers most all situations we find ourselves in when working in any existing building(s). The idea of a "Rehab" code has been mimic'd in other states, would be nice someone's "Rehab" code become the standard.....ah wishful

Maybe this:

http://www.iccsafe.org/Store/Pages/Product.aspx?category=0&cat=ICCSafe&id=3550X09

Last edited:
Is there an article in the NEC the requires replacement of existing electrical systems be brought into compliance with NEC? I've searched but just can't find a general requirement. I can reference particular articles but I am looking more for a general article the covers all electrical work.

If it is an installation that falls under OSHA regulations, eg. a workplace, follow the OSHA 1910 Subpart S that specifically outlines the grandfathering clauses. It lists specific parts of the installation that must meet the listed criteria, regardless of age and other parts that only have to be compliant if it was installed after a specific date.

There are large parts of the NEC that OSHA does not spell out as a requirement, yet in a CYA fashion states that being in compliance with the NEC is one way to assure that the installation complies with their requirement.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks for all the inputs, I would make reference to Article 80.:roll:

Article 80 doesn't realy exist unless it is "specifically" adopted.
This article is informative unless specifically adopted by the local jurisdiction adopting the National Electrical Code?.(See 80.5)

80.5 Adoption.
Article 80 shall not apply unless specifically adopted by the local jurisdiction adopting the National Electrical Code.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.