IG bar @ mdp cab. . . .???

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Question:

Had a job involving a single IG circuit where the grounding conductor landed on a grounding bar bolted to the MDP cabinet; all the other grounding conductors landed on this same bar.

Owner had another EC inspect; they state we should've installed an IG bar for that #12 conductor, then tied it back to the grounding bar w/ a #4.

What are the specific rules on this?

I can't see the logic here in the stated situation. I've been calling the EC that inspected and they won't take my calls or return messages. Just wanted some clarification.

paul

IG grounds and the regular grounds both originate at the service bonding point. IG grounds, however, are isolated from the grounding system after this point. If the MDP is where your bonding point is, then all is good.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Owner had another EC inspect; they state we should've installed an IG bar for that #12 conductor, then tied it back to the grounding bar w/ a #4.
Tell the owner to have the other EC provide some back up to their claim.

I don't understand the concept of having a competitor inspect your work, is this normal pratice where you are?

Roger

ceb58

How is that any different from what you have already?

Exactly, how is it different? Its not.

Tell the owner to have the other EC provide some back up to their claim.

I don't understand the concept of having a competitor inspect your work, is this normal pratice where you are?

Roger

Agreed, Take the owner to the panel and explain the grounding system. Then have him get whom ever to back up his statement.

Hi, Roger hope you and Pam are good.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hi, Roger hope you and Pam are good.

Hello Curtis we are and I hope you and Wanda are as well.

I hope you and the family and all MH Members have a great Thanksgiving. :)

Roger

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
How is that any different from what you have already?

its no different at all. I don't know what the other guy was thinking would be accomplished by added the other bar, but I didn't know if there was a requirement for it anyway. I couldn't find anything saying so.

roger said:

Not exactly.

Its an inspection for a new system being installed; manufacturer requires it.

We do them also, and I think we even gave this particular location a price but I suppose they thought we were too high.

I was involved because we did the install on this building a few years ago. The owner was asking us to correct it, being told it wasn't done right the first time.

I still haven't heard back from the other electrician. And the # I got was a cell phone; owner asked me to meet the guy over there @ 7PM. I declined to drive two hours to argue my point. Based on the time, and the cell phone greeting, I think this is some kid doing it on the side.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
its no different at all. I don't know what the other guy was thinking would be accomplished by added the other bar, but I didn't know if there was a requirement for it anyway. I couldn't find anything saying so.

Not exactly.

Its an inspection for a new system being installed; manufacturer requires it.

We do them also, and I think we even gave this particular location a price but I suppose they thought we were too high.

I was involved because we did the install on this building a few years ago. The owner was asking us to correct it, being told it wasn't done right the first time.

I still haven't heard back from the other electrician. And the # I got was a cell phone; owner asked me to meet the guy over there @ 7PM. I declined to drive two hours to argue my point. Based on the time, and the cell phone greeting, I think this is some kid doing it on the side.

Tell the owner to log on here and read this thread. Your installation is fine and the idea of an Isolated Ground is generally a waste of time, material, and effort anyways.

Roger

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Tell the owner to log on here and read this thread. Your installation is fine and the idea of an Isolated Ground is generally a waste of time, material, and effort anyways.

Roger

Not if they are paying extra for it, I may laugh but I will take the money. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.