flexable conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does direct burial also mean that it's listed for concrete encasement or are the the same thing?

If you are referencing the LFNC, you are asking the wrong person :) we need to ask the CMP....
I was basing it on 356.10:
(7) For encasement in concrete where listed for direct burial and installed in compliance with 356.42.

since they listed the concrete (7) as a separate item from direct buried
(4), I assume they are not considered the same.

raider1

Staff member
Does direct burial also mean that it's listed for concrete encasement or are the the same thing?

If you are referencing the LFNC, you are asking the wrong person :) we need to ask the CMP....
(7) For encasement in concrete where listed for direct burial and installed in compliance with 356.42.

According to the UL white book if the liquidtight flex is marked "Direct Burial", "Burial", "Dir Burial", or "Dir Bur" then it is suitable for both direct burial and in poured concrete. This applies to both LFMC and LFNC.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Actually I was thinking of LFMC, says nothing about concrete.

350.10 Uses Permitted.
LFMC shall be permitted to be used in exposed or concealed locations as follows:
(1) Where conditions of installation, operation, or maintenance require flexibility or protection from liquids, vapors, or solids
(2) As permitted by 501.10(B), 502.10, 503.10, and 504.20 and in other hazardous (classified) locations where specifically approved, and by 553.7(B)
(3) For direct burial where listed and marked for the purpose

kwired

Electron manager
Can someone give a good reason to want to use any type of flex conduit in concrete.

A. they cost more than other raceway types except maybe RMC

B. fittings are more expensive than other raceway types.

C. they typically are harder to pull conductors through than other raceway types

D. The flexiblity thing turns pretty rigid once the concrete cures - this may help with C

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can someone give a good reason to want to use any type of flex conduit in concrete.

A. they cost more than other raceway types except maybe RMC

B. fittings are more expensive than other raceway types.

C. they typically are harder to pull conductors through than other raceway types

D. The flexiblity thing turns pretty rigid once the concrete cures - this may help with C

Well regardless of what happens after it's installed it's much easier and faster to install than EMT or RMC.

kwired

Electron manager
I can understand a large radius bend especially on larger trade sizes.

For a long run how are you going to secure it and keep it straight?

A tube in concrete will want to float to the top if not secured, if not secured often will get lots of little waves in it which will make conductor pulling harder. May not save as much time as one may think.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well you would need to secure it somehow otherwise there might not be anything left of it after the concrete guys get through with it. :roll:

Also you could pull the conductors in before the pour. :)

ohmhead

Branch pods perfab it flex is good

Branch pods perfab it flex is good

We used to install smurf in a 6 inch poured deck on some projects we would have the shop perfab all the branch home runs each home run had a box attached to one end it was tagged with a number this number would be on a deck layout the wire was already installed in the raceway completed .

If you doing a high rise office or a high rise Hotel this is the way to go each deck or floor is shipped out in a truck from the perfab shop we unload and fly it up to what ever floor is ready for us we use chairs and lots of them this keeps it kinda level but you must walk the deck during the pour and make sure no one damages the smurf during pour time .

Meaning get the boots on and walk it during pump time !!!!!

Now when i say home run we also had the branch circuit of a completed say room office or Hotel room everything in that office or room switches recpt everthing was perfab rolled up and in a number system the guys on the deck rolled it out and nailed it down.

we completed our scope of work in 1/8 th the time what it would take to run conduit on deck then come back and pull wire after deck cures and tables are dropped we were months ahead . The drops to the recpt or switches where stuff back into the smurf and a metal sleeve was nailed down when deck was dropped you pulled the extra wire out down to your device change over to emt easy .

This is how you make time and money perfab but you must install it per plan or youll be in big trouble if you get the wrong branch pod out of order . Yes flex is good sometimes

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
ENT although fairly flexible is not considered a flexible conduit like FMC or LTFMC, LTFNMC. It also cost less than the other raceways as well as fittings.

Flexible conduits are intended to be able to flex after installed if necessary, ENT is not.

ohmhead

ENT although fairly flexible is not considered a flexible conduit like FMC or LTFMC, LTFNMC. It also cost less than the other raceways as well as fittings.

Flexible conduits are intended to be able to flex after installed if necessary, ENT is not.

Someone better tell Carlon there selling flex blue electrical nonmetallic tubing ENT

Status
Not open for further replies.