Phase Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharrigan

Would a phase converter ( single to three ) be appropriate for a ice maker with the following:

Compressor 15.0 RLA
Fan 5.0 Amps
Pump 1.2 FLA

Max HACR 30
MCA 30
208-230 Volts 3 Phase

The location only has single phase power now and not sure if utility will provide for
such a small load which is only utilized in the summer

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Did someone buy this 3? unit on the cheap? Tell your customer to buy an energy efficient singe phase unit.

aharrigan

converter

converter

The unit was a free-be, for a non-profit group. The giver had no idea if it would work or not. The non-profit are the ones asking me about the converter. I haven't had experience
with them.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I could very well be wrong here, but from my experience, buying the right unit for the existing electrical system is the most cost effective solution.

bmathis

phase converter vs single phase

phase converter vs single phase

I design electrical systems for industrial machinery for a living and there is a reason commercial and industrial businesses use 3 phase; it is extremely robust and the motors virtually never need replacing. I understand that not everyone has 3 phase, so a single phase machine can do a good job, but with longterm hassles. I would not very use a motor above 7.5 hp, the efficiency drops off the chart and you are wasting money. Sometimes the best solution is a good phase converter. THey can be the weak link too, so get a good one. We spec American Rotary's digitally controlled rotarys into some of our equipment. www.americanrotary.com They seem to be the most reliable and have the best voltage balance. Also very reasonably priced and being an engineer, I can actually talk to their engineers if I have a very technical question or requirment. Make sure you call and have the experts help size it. They have a database and most likely have experience with your specific machine.

The other option is to switch out the three phase components for single phase ones, but this is almost guaranteed to be more expensive and a big hassle.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.